Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 Monster S2R 800 with just over 4,500 miles. Every once in awhile it will die on me while I'm out riding. It's happened anywhere between 30 seconds and 10 minutes after I've started off. When I turn the ignition off and back on again, the fuel pump doesn't prime. I usually spend between 30 min. and an hour on the side of the road, before it eventually starts back up like nothing ever happened. I've gone through and checked connectors and fuses and the like. Nothing looks corroded or worn.

I called up the dealer and they quoted $1450 for a replacement fuel pump, so I'm hoping that it's something else! Any help/advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Unfortunately Ducati only sells the whole fuel pump assembly not just the pump hence the price.

I had the same issue on a Monster 1100 Evo and the problem was the fuel flange wires. Luckily you can get replacement from Ca Cycleworks:

Here the video on how to install:

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have an '07 Monster S2R 800 with just over 4,500 miles. Every once in awhile it will die on me while I'm out riding. It's happened anywhere between 30 seconds and 10 minutes after I've started off. When I turn the ignition off and back on again, the fuel pump doesn't prime. I usually spend between 30 min. and an hour on the side of the road, before it eventually starts back up like nothing ever happened. I've gone through and checked connectors and fuses and the like. Nothing looks corroded or worn.

I called up the dealer and they quoted $1450 for a replacement fuel pump, so I'm hoping that it's something else! Any help/advice would be appreciated!
I had the same issue with my 2007 S2R 1000 several months ago. On Father's day last year I got on my bike to ride from Seattle to Bellingham to visit my parents and started my bike up; it idled and then died. For the next several months I had issues where I would be in traffic or riding on the freeway and it would just die. I took it to an independent shop and they couldnt figure out what the issue was, so then I took it to Ducati Redmond before they shut down for good. Turns out it was the wire harness for the fuel pump short circuiting. The ethanol in the gas was corroding the insulation on the wires and causing the wires to short out. I ended up paying $400 cash to get the fuel pump replaced. They could probably fix the short, but you may as well just replace the fuel pump like they do a water pump when you replace a timing belt. Good luck, let us know what you find!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Unfortunately Ducati only sells the whole fuel pump assembly not just the pump hence the price.

I had the same issue on a Monster 1100 Evo and the problem was the fuel flange wires. Luckily you can get replacement from Ca Cycleworks:

Here the video on how to install:

Hope it helps.
Same exact issue I had; I just ended up replacing my fuel pump

·
Registered
5 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 04 M620, thought it was the fuel pump so I opened and replaced it (a BOSCH with same specification was about 30/40 usd), it did not solve the issue so after some research and diagnosis I ended up following these exact steps:
It was the exact same problem, 4.000 km after it's still running perfectly, never died on me again.
It took me 2 hs work and usd 20 on some fuel proof epoxy. I asked my dad to help me with the soldering 'couse he's the best and i finished the rest easily.
Hope this helps.

Edit: I also used the oportunity to change the fuel filter. My monster has 31.000 miles, but I think the issue is about the factory epoxy resin just being old and probably poor quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It took me 2 hs work and usd 20 on some fuel proof epoxy. I asked my dad to help me with the soldering 'couse he's the best and i finished the rest easily.
Hope this helps.
Edit: I also used the oportunity to change the fuel filter. My monster has 31.000 miles, but I think the issue is about the factory epoxy resin just being old and probably poor quality.
Thanks for that! $160 is right on the cusp of acceptable for me to avoid the hassle with the epoxy and solder. Hopefully this solves my problem! Will post updates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the exact same problem, 4.000 km after it's still running perfectly, never died on me again.
It took me 2 hs work and usd 20 on some fuel proof epoxy.
Just spent almost 3 hours trying to dig out the original epoxy and didn't feel like I was anywhere close to getting it done. Wound up buying the $160 replacement. Hopefully that does the trick! Should get here in a few days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just spent almost 3 hours trying to dig out the original epoxy and didn't feel like I was anywhere close to getting it done. Wound up buying the $160 replacement. Hopefully that does the trick! Should get here in a few days.
Lol, ok hope that solves it!
If you ever feel like repairing the old one to have for spare part It's not so deep (maybe 25/30 mm), with some small tool you can get it all out trying not to damage the wires soldered at the bottom. I scraped the sides against the cylindrical wall first, but the epoxy on mine was old and not so hard so it was not too difficult to take out.
Anyway did you do a continuity check on the wire harness to make sure the fault was there?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts