Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends,

Ive been in the process of resurrecting a 2005 Monster 620 after its been sitting in a garage for 5 years. Picked it up a few days ago with 9k miles. All maintenance has been done, I cleaned the fuel injectors, fluids changed, brakes bled, clutch fluid bled, filters changed, spark plugs changed etc etc.

The tank was pretty gross and the fuel turned to tar. the bottom half of the tank was nasty, I changed the fuel pump and the fuel filter. When I go to start the bike, the motor cranks, it fires for about a second and then continues to crank. I had a thought that maybe there isn't enough pressure in the fuel line so I crimped the return line going to the pressure regulator side of the fuel tank thinking maybe that regulator is not holding pressure. Lo and behold the motor turn on for a good 4-5 seconds idling. But then turned off. I then realized that I hear the fuel pump turn on and prime when I turn the key to the on position, but then i don't actually hear it turning on when the motor is running. What might be causing this? I have the tank tilted up so i can put my ear right by the underside of the fuel tank to hear if its running or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Scratch that, I really clamped the fuel line closed going back to the regulator as opposed to like half way "pressing" it with vise grips. She fired right up and stayed on. This I believe confirms that the fuel pressure regulator is stuck open. She ran and stayed on, gave her a few revs etc. Once I un-clamped the hose, the motor sputtered and turned off within a few seconds. Also, the motor is loud as hell so I guess there really isnt a way to hear for that pump being on while the motor is cranking.

If anyone else has this issue, where the pump primes, you have spark and the moto turns over and maybe turns on for a second and turns off. Look potentially at the regulator as the culprit. Ride safe amigos.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts