Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Ducati fold as I recently bought an '03 M1000S with only 1,100 miles on it and Giannelli exhaust. I'm also an old (69) rider coming from the Japanese inline 4's -- FZ-1, VFR800, ZX6, ZRX1100, etc. At my age I don't consider myself anywhere close to an aggressive rider--just happy to be still riding. My question (at last) is what is typical fuel mileage for moderate riding for my bike. Seems to be my only criticism of the Monster which I love is I can go only about 105 to 110 miles before the low fuel light comes on. Even with the FZ-1 I got over 40 mpg with same riding style, but I can't seem to get beyond 37 to 38 mpg. Small complaint about a great bike, but I like to ride in the more remote areas.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
My riding style sounds similar to yours.

My epxerience is that I can average 135 miles from a tank. I did however have an anomoly where I got 52MPG one week.

That being said I have just switched to 87 octane per a discussion/arguement that entailed in another chat board. I haven't checked my mileage yet but the bike does not run noticably different at all.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Most of us with 900 bikes get around 40-48 mpg. I don't think anyone here has figure out the new 1000, so we'll be looking for you to update us. My guess is that after it's broken in, mileage will increase.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There's a recent string on mileage, just do a search on that term to see what many are getting.

As for my "00 M900S with K&N and Sil slip-ons, I consistently got mid-40's mpg riding 50-90 mph on Colorado twisties. Then I took into the dealer for CO trim adjustment. They dropped CO from around 6ppm to around 3.5ppm. Now my mileage is in the 50's.

Don't have a clue as to why my mileage is so consistently good, but adjusting CO made it even better. If the outlet on your exhausts is really black it could indicate you'd benefit from running leaner, and CO trim adjustments help w/ that.

Enjoy the new wheels.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... my monster when stock M750 Dark 2000 used to get around 190 - 200 mi. before the fuel light came on.

Since then, I have installed aftermarket cannisters, K&N air filter. I get about 180 before the light turns on.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I usually got closer to 35 mpg on my M900, but it did better out on the highway. Still, at 35 mpg, you can go 140 miles before your really have to fill it up. Use the trip odometer instead of the fuel light (but make sure the fuel light comes on when you normally expect it).

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
congrats on your new monster. 69 huh? sound good. that gives me at least 12 more years to ride. my m750 gives memid 30's to low 40's in mixed riding. moderately fast riding on a longer trip fetches high 40's. my record high was 52.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
35MPG if I ride like a "sane" person(hardly ever). 2003 M1000s, 4000 miles. Idiot light normally come on at around 100-110 miles.

·
Registered
571 Posts
M600....

General riding & occasional hooning...

Between 120-150 before light comes on.

;D

·
Registered
69 Posts
The fuel consumption on my 03 M800 has been atrocious from day one. I'm averaging a mere 29 mpg and the low fuel light typically comes on around 75 miles (albeit with about 1.3 gallons still in the tank by my reckoning).

Judging by other people's experiences (see http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=forum1;action=display;num=1069088106 for an earlier thread on the subject), fuel mileage on injected Monsters varies wildly from one bike to the next. But I've been reading up on the Marelli system and am determined to figure out what's going on with mine. Have to wait until spring, though...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question. When you talk about when the fuel lights come on, do you mean all the way on? Mine comes on and goes out again. Not until around 140 does it stay on.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I've been thinking about this since one of the early 'fuel mileage' threads.

The only logical explanation I can accept is that the fuel pressure regulators are not very consistent from bike to bike.

There may be some inconsistencies in the injectors, but those need to be quite precise to function correctly, so I think it's less of an issue. Also, there's 2 injectors on each bike, so that would tend to average out any variances.

Possibly the cam timing is significant, I've heard that it varies significantly from bike to bike. That should be less of an issue on the 2-valvers, though.

The maps that ducati installs in the ECU have got to be the same from bike to bike of the same size. I cannot believe that the manufacturing variances in ports and exhaust systems would have much effect.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The fuel consumption on my 03 M800 has been atrocious from day one. I'm averaging a mere 29 mpg and the low fuel light typically comes on around 75 miles (albeit with about 1.3 gallons still in the tank by my reckoning).

Judging by other people's experiences (see http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=forum1;action=display;num=1069088106 for an earlier thread on the subject), fuel mileage on injected Monsters varies wildly from one bike to the next. But I've been reading up on the Marelli system and am determined to figure out what's going on with mine. Have to wait until spring, though...
I have the same bike, and same "problem." It blinks on a little at a time around 80 miles, and steady at 90 or so. The farthest i've made it on a tank is 112 miles. My next experiment is to stuff a plastic can of gas in my backpack and just run it till it dies, and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Paul, I also have an '03 M800. I've noticed that my fuel light starts coming on between 90 and 105 miles, and I usually have to fill up between 115-125 miles. When I do fill up I am very consistantly in the 3.4-3.6 gallon range. That's roughly 35 mpg. That's a mix of city and freeway riding, if I'm just on the freeway I can get another 10-15 miles at times.

I did however get amazing gas mileage on one tank and made it 175 miles before filling up. That was going down hill however from 6200 feet to sea level during those 175 miles, but at 85mph I still got just about exactly 50mpg. I was quite impressed that day to say the least.

Since I purchased the bike in March I have noticed my mileage getting slightly better over the almost 11,000 miles I've put on it. I'm not quite sure why it's improving, but it definitely is...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
filled mine this am on the way to work. light flickered 2 times then was on for good. stopped and filled per the usual, took 3.4 gallons. checked the trip, 146 miles. i have a stock monster 800 with 4k miles on the clock. the mileage hasnt changed much since purchase. i ride mostly back roads and highway on the way to work, about 30 miles cruising 80-85mph.

·
Registered
423 Posts
my light comes on at 75, and it pisses me off. For the first 600 miles it came on around 115. After I brought it in for its first service, it went down to 75. Did the mechs screw something up? I also had them remove the charcoal cannister. Is it possible that they left an air leak somewhere? I brought it back in to them, and they didn't know what was up. I'll probably bring it back with my desmogging theory. ??? ???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts