Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i found out that i can go exactly 132.9 miles on a tank of gas. i also found out that you don't ever want to rely on the friggin fuel light, because it simply may never come on!

i had stopped at an intersection when the engine suddenly started coughing and slowly died. at first i didn't even know what happened until i flipped up the tank and noticed that i was out of gas....talk about feeling stupid.

i religiously set the trip meter and fill up before i hit 100 miles, but for whatever reason i just lost track of things.

·
Registered
58 Posts
About a month ago, early Sunday morning, I was in the mountains on an unfamilier route in the middle-of-nowhere, Japan, when the feul light comes on ... figure I got some time so I head towards civilization for a gas station, pass one - closed, pass another - closed ... at the 4th one its open ... pulling in, the bike coughs and dies as I grab the clutch and coast to the pump. That was cutting it close ... next gas station I saw on my route was miles away on the other side of the next mountain pass.

Mental note to self: always gas up before leaving civilization

·
Registered
40 Posts
The fuel light comes on at about 8 litres of fuel used, approx 160-170km. I can easily get another 50plus km's out of it. Basically it comes on early on my bike and I just go by the amount of km I've done since I filled up.

S

·
0 Posts
Most basic liquid level sensors rely on either Capacitive or conductive or bouyant (like ur toilet flush tank) property of the liquid (gasolene in this case)

These variables change a lot in the case of a vehicle (especially a motorcycle) because the fuel is in constant motion inside the tank. This gets worse when riding the mountains coz it has its ups and downs. Usually i have noticed that the fuel light goes off when u are travelling up on an incline.

That said, refuel in the nearest next gas station when u've seen the fuel light come on at some point earlier.
-Spaceman.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
132 miles sounds like exactly what I would get out of a tank; I always fill up within 10 miles of the fuel warning light going on - better safe then VERY sorry...

Seems like pretty bad gas mileage. Never bothered to figure out what is actually is though... :eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
:pThis is odd! The very same thing happened to me on my newly acquired 97 M900. The light came on previously, so when it didn't this time I didn't even think about it. I pulled up to a stop light and it sputtered and died. The trip meter was at about 130 miles and sure enough, it had run dry. . . and the light never came on. What compounded the problem I didn't have my wallet or cell phone with me (just a short ride, right) so, I pushed it into a gas station on the corner and actually had to ask someone for a buck so I could get home. Talk about feeling stupid, but I'm glad I wasn't a few more miles down the road 10 miles from nowhere. Lesson learned (agiain)!

·
Registered
195 Posts
today i found out that i can go exactly 132.9 miles on a tank of gas. i also found out that you don't ever want to rely on the friggin fuel light, because it simply may never come on!
Wow, that sounds like not-great mileage to me. I have the exact same bike, and I find that if I don't overfill the tank, regardless of the kind of riding I do the light comes on between 120 and 130 miles absolutely every single time. The manual says there's 3.0L of reserve once the light comes on, and I have no reason to doubt that; I've run it another 15-20 mi beyond without trouble.

Do you do a lot of city riding? Have a PCIII or other remapping?

M.
PS - sorry I don't have info on your light trouble, which does suck :p

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
On my 95 M900 I too get almost exactly 120-130 miles then the light starts to come on during braking. I don't trust it completely and reset the trip meter for every tank.

I recently posted a comment to a tank removal thread about how I broke the wires at the fuel sensor connector plug which made it work intermittently. To add insult to injury, one of the days it didn't come on was also the day I was wrong about how much gas the trip meter indicated should be left. I found out that the fuel pickup can actually get every drop out of that tank in normal riding - none is stuck on the left side to slosh over for a last ditch reserve. Didn't have the cell phone that morning either.

Mark J

M

·
0 Posts
i think it only takes one time to realize that the fuel light (if it does come on) means "o h s h i t i'm outa gas"... that said i'm always at a gas station when the trip meter hits 120 whether i need it or not. ::);D

·
Registered
216 Posts
My fuel light also doesnt work. I ran out 2x .. once because I thought I could go another 5 mi (now that's a push!) the other time because I was relying on the light. The last time I had a cell so I called the wife. Thank god I'm nice to her! Yep, 130 mi is about it.

V

·
0 Posts
I have a 1997M900, don't do any city riding. Cruise around 110ks-120ks with bursts up to 180ks. I do like to keep the motor spinning rather than chugging and don't flick into 6th until doing over 140.
I get 185ks to 190ks befrore light comes on.
I just purchase a 1.5litre camping fuel bottle, and I am going to run it dry so I know what to expect, will let you know,
Cheers

PS - thanks Michael fior the tip about getting a small fuel bottle from a camping store.

V

·
0 Posts
Well, I ran it dry. The fuel light came on solid about 185ks and she finally started to miss at 257ks,
much better than I thought
Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts