Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please HELP: Question on fuel injection vs. carburetion

Dear Members,

I had a 2002 750 I.E. Dark and was very happy with it, but a minor bump with a Honda Accord left the steering block busted. A new frame and labor would cost more than the value of the bike, so insurance is paying me for the bike.

I am back in the market, but having trouble finding the Monster that I like most - a simple, circa 2002 Monster that is not too tricked out (I like the simplicity of the stock bike - no glitz).

I am seeing a few older models that I like, but they are carbureted, not fuel-injected, and I have a sense that fuel injection is the way to go if possible.

I would happily upgrade to a 900 Dark if I could, but would prefer to stick to one that is fuel injected. Can anyone let me know if the fuel injected monsters are much better performers and require less maintenance?

What is considered a good year? Again, I like the look of the 2000-2002 models. The new ones are too futuresque for me.

Finally - I see someone is selling his 2000 Monster Dark. I noticed that all on-line sources claim this model was fuel-injected, but he says it is carbureted. Can anyone confirm if there are two different 2000 engines?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Ive owned a carb'd '99 M750 and presently have an injected '06 S2R 800.... I can't speak to the earlier FI bikes, but the injection on mine is absolutly perfect. First I should say that as far as reliability goes, I never once had a prob with the carbs. Maybe my case is unique, but I left the bike out for a winter and it started right up in the fall... never a stumble, great MPG. But performance wise, it left a lot to be desired. The jumpyness of the on/off throttle and the general sluggishness of throttle response comes in a distant second to the fuel injected bike. I've owned a few FI sportbikes (triumphs, bmws) and the injection on the newer ducatis is seriously good.

As an aside - I happen to be selling my S2R 800 - see the for sale section. I'm in NY/CT and asking $5500 for it - its 100% stock, with 4.5k miles. Red/White.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Hey,

I really appreciate your reply - which was very helpful. I called around some Ducati dealers as well, and they all said that fuel injection is the way to go in terms of performance AND maintenance.

I tried to check out your ad, but my internet is a bit slow and searching the pages is tiresome (Time Warner be damned). That Ducati site makes no sense because you cannot search by make and model. Can you send me a link to your ad?

Regards,

Dan

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Sure here you go

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...s2r-800-5500-ny-ct-trade-70-s-alfa-romeo.html

The Craigslist ad I linked to seems to have expired... basically the bike is a two adult owner bike - I'm going to get rid of the bike and do a car restoration project instead. Its totally mint... 10/10 visually and mechanically, and I have a lot of good BMW and other gear I'm willing to negotiate into the sale. you can PM me for more pics if interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought a 2001 carb injected Duc m750 and it runs flawlessly. There is so many debates over carb vs fi - even on these forums you should do a search. Basically most people don't see anything wrong with carb. Fuel injection is a little bit more fuel economic and benefits from not having to run a choke when the engine is cold (10-30 seconds). Carbs are easy and cheap to repair since they're everywhere. FI is easy to fix, too (from what I hear) since it can be adjusted electronically. So really its up to you. I haven't seen or heard a major difference besides those facts. If the price was the same I'd probably get FI but even at a few hundred dollars cheaper carbed looks good. Just listen to the engine, work the throttle, check the gears, and make sure everything runs good - that's the most significant part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts