Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘17 Monster 1200S fuel gauge is acting up. Tank is full, and gauge will show that, but it will suddenly drop to empty and the low fuel light will start flashing. It may do this for 20-30 minutes, then suddenly start working again. It’s done this for the past couple of days. I’ve read this is a common problem with the Ducati fuel gauge sensor. Has anyone replaced this themselves, know of a step by step tutorial, or YouTube video showing how to replace it? I’m two hours from a dealer, so I’d like to fix this myself, if possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A buddy riding an 821 had a similar bug.
Running the diagnostics at the service center gave an error BBS P0460 for the fuel sensor level.

I ride a 2018 model and that has had its pump sensor assembly replaced under warranty but still acts up now and then. Noticeable if the fuel gauge is two down from a full tank and I top it up. The level on the gauge does not go up. It will reduce down as I run the bike and at mid-level if filled back up, the gauge usually goes back to normal. Quite a finicky system as earlier today, when riding out the level was 2 down from full and a couple of mins into the ride, the gauge started showing a full tank 🤷‍♂️
This link may help if the assembly is the same as the 1200S
On yours, you may want to have the folks run a diagnostic and see if a similar error or in case there is something else amiss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My ‘17 Monster 1200S fuel gauge is acting up. Tank is full, and gauge will show that, but it will suddenly drop to empty and the low fuel light will start flashing. It may do this for 20-30 minutes, then suddenly start working again. It’s done this for the past couple of days. I’ve read this is a common problem with the Ducati fuel gauge sensor. Has anyone replaced this themselves, know of a step by step tutorial, or YouTube video showing how to replace it? I’m two hours from a dealer, so I’d like to fix this myself, if possible.
Hello.
I have a model 1200S from 2018, so this is the same bike. I have exactly the same problem. Engine has only run 12.000 km. Did you eventually have to replace the fuel sensor? and did you do that yourself?
I can see on the video (sidmonster821) how to remove the tank, but I don't see where the fuel sensor is exactly.
Do you have a good tip for me? thanks in advance, gr Alex.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello.
I have a model 1200S from 2018, so this is the same bike. I have exactly the same problem. Engine has only run 12.000 km. Did you eventually have to replace the fuel sensor? and did you do that yourself?
I can see on the video (sidmonster821) how to remove the tank, but I don't see where the fuel sensor is exactly.
The fuel pump/sensor assembly was replaced under warranty. That was handled at the service center.

The fuel pump is at the rear but the tank will need to be lifted out.
I would take care about the clip/plug back there as that is quite fiddly and can snap if pulled wrong.

Also, I've had the tank lifted recently to remove some water that had gotten in with the fuel and the drain pipes were a pain to get back on.

These were a right old pain to re-attach without some level of contortion. Be wary of that.

This video linked should be helpful in lifting and unplugging the tank

Another angle from another vid. Those screws hold the assembly inside the tank.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello.
Hello.
When mine was acting up it was in the middle of the summer and I live in the Deep South, so it was extremely hot. My gauge acted up about twice and hasn’t done it since. I attributed the gauge acting up to the high temps (with the heat radiating from the road, it was over 100 degrees). If I recall, the fuel sensor is accessed under the tank. It didn’t look like a hard swap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am currently waiting for a replacement fuel sensor for a 2019 Monster 1200 S, and was told that Ducati just recently changed the part - creating a delay in availability.
While I don't yet know whether this is the case, I am hoping they have made improvements so that it longer fails due to ethanol additives. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am currently waiting for a replacement fuel sensor for a 2019 Monster 1200 S, and was told that Ducati just recently changed the part - creating a delay in availability.
While I don't yet know whether this is the case, I am hoping they have made improvements so that it longer fails due to ethanol additives. Fingers crossed...
When you get the part, how about posting instructions on how to replace it. A few pics would be nice too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When you get the part, how about posting instructions on how to replace it. A few pics would be nice too.
It's under warranty, so will be a dealer install. That said, there are a few videos here and there that show the process.
For example, here's one that shows some of what's needed to change out the tank on a current-model Diavel - which is very similar to our Monsters.
Start around the 4:00 mark.
Ducati Diavel Fuel Tank Swap Video

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is my experience with the fuel gauge issue from today's ride out - 12 Sept.
The gauge showed 2 bars below full and given the route, I was on, felt safer to get a top-up than stop at a janky fuel station.
Topped up and this.... :mad:

Can see the time on the hud for ref.

Anyhow, later on, after going thru the waypoints and heading back home, I decided to top it up again and see if the gauge will now level out. It did not. Not surprised tbh.

This was the reason the pump assembly was replaced under warranty back in late 2018 and still has the issue, although intermittently.
What will happen is the gauge will keep going down once the fuel level gets to that point (a point that the gauge is currently indicating) and then when I top it back up, should behave normally.
Till then, as suggested by one of the local DOC members, ride basis the trip meter. The bike will give an approx range of 250Km or 155 miles on a full tank in most cases. Top it at 200 Km or 140-mile mark to be safe.
IMO, replacing the pump assembly may really not solve anything unless there is a major part revision. If there is a new revision, please do share the new part number.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Update: After several weeks of my dealer being unable to get visibility as to when the part would become available, I started to contact Ducati. After multiple false starts there, the part arrived at the dealer and I had it installed this morning (roughly 1.5 hours). It was functioning properly on the ride home. Hopefully it holds up - and everyone who has been waiting gets sorted soon!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got the bike thru its annual service.
The issue with the fuel gauge was noted and a day later was told that they were still investigating the issue. At that time, the bike's gauge was displaying fuel levels just around the halfway mark.
I requested them to drain the fuel to the reserve level and check if the gauge would change. The next call came in and said that the gauge was not reflecting the change in fuel levels - down to reserve or full tank. Being under warranty, a replacement was requested but that was going to take a couple of weeks to get a hold of.
In the meantime, the service lead had dismantled the part and cleaned the interior and mechanisms with carb cleaner and WD40. On reinstalling, it seems to be working again. Whether it was corrosion gunk or dirt, I did not get much clarity.
After collecting the bike, I tanked up and did a weekend ride. Thus far, it seems to have done the trick.
While cleaning it might have solved the situation, Ducati has informed that the replacement part is still being sent as a safeguard should this stop working.... which it might.

The official word from the service lead was that the ethanol content in the fuel, even up to 10% or higher has shown to corrode or cause some build-up inside the assembly. Fuel quality was another cause for concern for them. Honestly, I'm not buying that as other brands have not had any similar issues but almost all Ducati bikes with the fuel gauge have had one issue or another. They had an xDiavel with similar issues while that bike had been sitting for a while (thank you lockdown). IMO, a part that needs re-engineering to sort out vs. ethanol or fuel quality.

For now, it'll be riding based on the trip meter. The fuel gauge is on notice but will not be relied upon much.... nor the range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts