Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to work today and my bike felt super squirrelly on the morning comute. It almost felt like I was going into a headshake/tankslapper. Sure enough get to work and give the bike the once over, slow leak from a nail in rear tire :mad: :mad: :mad: The tire is a pretty new D208 but I think I'm gonna try the diablos. (now I got to switch both, hopefully i'll get the rebate for the free front.) Anyone want to buy a front Dunlop 208?

D

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck, but at least you made it to work safe.

Same thing happened to me a while back. I was cruising down the Interstate and the bike felt like the front shocks were rising up. I didn't know what was going on until I tried to lean into the exit. Completely chewed up a D208 with 100 miles on it. Ohh well.

Let us know how the diablos compare to the 208's.

H

·
0 Posts
Knock on wood, but I've never had a flat on a street bike. I don't even recall many flats on my diirt bikes... I've had many brand new car tires get nails or screws in them, though, most of which weren't as expensive as my bike tires...

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If you're going to throw it away, I'd appreciate you sending it to me, I'll pay the shipping.
Norm Brown
344 River Loop
Horse Shoe, NC 28742

C

·
0 Posts
Well, I was just about to post regarding 2 small nails in my back tire that have been there with no problems for about 4 months, but I dare not temp fate! So . . . never mind. ::)

jb

M

·
0 Posts
Hey Norm,
I have the Stock Dunlop Sport Touring 160/60/17 which I recently changed to a Diablo. I picked up a nail ( seems to be contagious) Thought I would cash in on the free front deal.
It has a little over 2000 miles on it. You want that one?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I left work on had some diablos installed. $299 out the door, while I waited, and they were taken off, mounted and balanced. they even let me watch and i got to ask tire questions galore. much props to SUBTERANEAN CYCLES in SF. i'll try to get the money back from pirelli from their free front tire offer, but i have heard it is discontinued. i can't really give any real impression yet as i'm riding like a pu$$y until they are scrubbed in. i will definitely post some thoughts in a few miles. time to sweep the garage i park in, they found remnants of about 4 different nails or metal objects in the rear :eek:

hey norm, i was gonna try to sell the front on craigslist cheaply, or trade it for beer (it has <2K miles). if i get no takers i have no problem hooking you up.

ps. check your tire pressures regulary!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm on a pretty tight, wife imposed, budget this year (again), & I have no problem patching tires as long as they have at least 50% tread left. Send me all you've got & I'll put them to good use.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Last nail I got on the 748. I had just installed the tire and a carbon rear hugger. The nail did not go all the way in and went round and sliced the end of the new carbon hugger. Usually they go all the way in and hide until the rear end seems squirmy. I won't ride on a plug or patch on a bike., can't trust em at full tilt.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah my Metzler had only 500 miles when I picked up my first nail. Air rushed out in a matter of seconds and I fished tailed to a stop. The drivers of the tractor and the 2 cars I had just passed on a double yellow were all smiling when they drove by......they may of been laughing come to think of it. No offers of help I can assure you.
Nails can puncture any brand I know, but I went back to Pirelli Diablos anyhow.
I printed out the free tire offer from Pirelli.
Does anyone know if there would be a problem going from a 120/60/17 to a 120/70/17? The offer is for the latter. Thanks in advance!
Lee

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Lee, Like Norm said you probably won't notice much difference, just a slightly taller tire (and a little more $).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts