Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I can finally get my bike out from under the garage now that the ice on the ramp has mostly cleared off.

I went to start her up and not only did she refuse to start up, but the throttle grip was frozen shut! I tried to help her start with a little gas, but I couldn't even twist the grip. She has been sitting there in the open albeit covered garage at an average of about 20 degrees of coldness since wednesday.

I didn't think throttles froze shut. How should I get this unstuck?

Also, any tips for helping her start out again? It's cranking pretty rough and very slowly.

UPDATE: I went back out and simply worked the throttle loose by hand. As for starting her up, I'm guessing the battery is dead. All batteries perform worse in the cold, right?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
So, your throttle works now, right? You may want to try using a heat gun/blow dryer over the cable housing before riding, and try to wait until the air temp is a little over freezing.

Does it turn over? If it'll still turn over, you might be able to get it to catch with a little squirt of starting fluid. If it's starting to turn slower, than don't keep hitting it without either a) letting the air temp come up to ~40+, b) squirting in a little starting fluid, or c) hooking it up to some jumper cables. If you jump it with a car, turn the car off, hook up the batteries and start the bike. Disconnect, let the bike warm up a little, and plug it into a tender when you get home. (Keep the car off the whole time)

Good luck.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the throttle works now, I just needed to coax it loose by twisting it harder.

The main thing I was afraid of is if there was some liquid in there that wasn't supposed to be there because freezing sometimes means cracking, and cracking is bad.

I went back home and brought my battery tender to work. I just put the battery back in, and the bike started right up, seems to be running better than ever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts