Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
putting new rubber on. anything weird or wacked about pulling the front wheel off. have a swingarm stand and figured i'd use jackstand to support the bike. any ideas, recommendations, jokes, or drunken limmericks. thanks

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
What year and model of Monster do you have?

If you have an older Monster with a speedo cable, I recall hearing some care is needed there, especially on reassembly.

Remove the calipers, and tie them up out of the way, it's best to not leave them hang on the hoses. You may need to wiggle the calipers to push the pads back enough to get the calipers out. Wrap them in an old T-Shirt (for example) to avoid scratching your ride. Don't pull the front brake lever. Make sure the bike is securely supported. Use ziplock bags for groups of bolts, like the caliper bolts, for example. Makes reassembly a lot less of a guessing game. Not a big deal on a wheel R&R, but more complicated jobs that span weeks or months can be frustrating on reassembly if you don't keep track of the hardware. It's a good habit to get into.

Sorry, no jokes or drunken limmericks. ;)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
OK, then you only have one brake, so only one caliper to deal with.

I recall seeing a thread recently describing what to do with the speedo drive gear for reassembly. Try a 'search' to find it....

I'm 99% sure your front axle is different from mine, so I can't give any FHE recommendations there.

I've found that when reinstalling wheels, you can put a small spacer under the wheel to get it nearly into position, then wedge your toes under it to be able to lift it up the last little bit and control the position to be able to get the axle through. Sometimes it helps to have an assistant to put the axle in, sometimes not....

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Remove the speedometer cable before you do anything else. More than one Ducati speedometer cable has been broken by rotating the drive with the cable still attached. To get a brake caliper off, remove the two bolts attaching it to the fork leg, then rotate the caliper against the disk rotor to squeeze the pads back a little more. You should be able to get the caliper off at that point.

You may need something to help get the axle in and out. On the 1997 Monster, I could pull the axle out with my hand. on the 1998 ST2, I need a hammer to move it.

Be sure the speedometer drive is lined up properly before tightening the axle. I bent the brass colored ring on my ST2 when things weren't lined up right, then wondered why the speedometer no longer worked. Had to take it all back apart and straighten the bent piece to fix it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Scott,
you are soooooo right.

remove the cable, before you loosen the wheel nut!! Cost me a new speedo cable. :-[

Align the tabs on the speedo drive so they go into the mating recess in the wheel on re assemble. I also stuffed this & had to straigten out. Wondered why the wheel was not turning when torqued to the right value ???

Good to see we can save a few from our (well Mine anyway) Mistakes. ;)

·
Banned
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, looks straighforward to me, but i do appreciate the experience of those who have gone thru the process. ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts