Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried a 120/70 on the front of a 696. I was told that the change in aspect ratio was okay for the rim. Is this correct? Has anyone tried it? Also I seem to have really tore through my first front tire. I am at 4000k on the bike and have already wore out the lateral aspect of the tread and I am not that aggressive of a rider.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Get sport touring tires, they'll give you plenty of grip and last alot longer. The 70 will be fine as long as it doesn't rub the fender.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Even if it does clear the fender, you have to remember that the change from a 60 series to a 70 series will change the geometry of the suspension, you may have to raise the rear to get proper turn in.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Agree to above....
will also add that i liked the handling better with the 170 vs the 160
a side benefit is some additional protection against denting your wheel by having more rubber in between

i also run sport touring tires.
Avon Storm on my SS (really like these)
Diablo Strada on the Monster
Dunlop Roadsmarts have been getting really good reviews too

jeff h
monsterparts.com

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I figured you'd let us know. If it doesn't, just ovalize the fender mounting holes a little.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 120/70 on the front of my bike '02 620, clears the fender fine, looks good, have no idea how any handling changed, I bought the bike with that tire on it, but I am due for a new front, debating staying same, and going to stock size as well.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The difference in geometry is negligable, I wouldn't give it much thought.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Has anyone tried a 120/70 on the front of a 696. I am at 4000k on the bike and have already wore out the lateral aspect of the tread and I am not that aggressive of a rider.
If you go to a 70 series tire, the shape of the tire will make you feel as if the bike 'was going to fall'; this from personal experience so I saved a bit and got a new 120/60/17.

Now, what tire preasure were you running on that front tire? I went 8000Kms[5Kmiles] on the OEM tires, but, has to replace due to a "rear brake lock up" that took a lot of rubber of it; now I'm using Dunlop Touring D220 and have 5000Kms[3k miles] and wear is/was as even as it could be, I weight 195lbs no gear and run 33/35psi, usually I ride heavy since bike was used on daily home/work commute.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
D220 is a nice tire, but the core and shape of a tire will determine how it feels during turn in - the 60 vs 70 won't effect it at all.

·
Registered
635 Posts
D220 is a nice tire, but the core and shape of a tire will determine how it feels during turn in - the 60 vs 70 won't effect it at all.
So why with these tires, Sport Touring, I feel more of everything than with the OEM Pirelli Diablos that are rated to be Sportbike Tires?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Different tire, different everything. The sport bike tag is primarily for softer compound.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Also I seem to have really tore through my first front tire. I am at 4000k on the bike and have already wore out the lateral aspect of the tread and I am not that aggressive of a rider.
If you haven't bought one yet...try Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. You won't be sorry. But be sure to install Pilots on both wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you haven't bought one yet...try Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. You won't be sorry. But be sure to install Pilots on both wheels.
That's probably what I was planning to do. My bike came with Bridgestone Battlax BT-16 which are a dual compound, but I have heard good things about the Pilot Power 2CT. Unfortunately I have to burn through another front as my rear tire has plenty of tread left. I am just sort of shocked that I went through the front twice as quickly as the rear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts