Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What height do you guys prefer? the taller 70 or the shorter 60?
And what comes stock?

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Front Tire Size?

um what bike....I think the the current crop S4R, and 1000 are 70's and the 800 and 620 are 60's...the older 750, 600, I think were 60's and the S4, 900, 70's. Unless Ducati changed things around somewhere down the line.
I've never run nothing but 70's.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts

i think retro is right on, i'm running 60's, many i have talked to said it would be a waste to go bigger on my bike (M750). if you're on a M900, 70's should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

70's are the way to go unless you get a really slick deal on a 60.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

Why are 70's better
70's are different, not neccesarily "better"...

There was discussion on the mailing list a few years back suggesting that the 70 profiles provide somewhat better protection for the rim when you hit things like potholes (or curbs). It might even be true, I'm not too sure (I have this feeling that the 60 profiles would maybe have stiffer sidewalls which may conterbalance their size disadvantage in those circumstances).

The other difference is that a 60 profile will give you about half an inch less front ride height, with a corresponding reduction in steeringhead angle and hence slightly quicker steering...

In the vintages of my bike (A '99 model), the 600 & 750 had 60s specced, the 900 had the 70 profile. I've always run the 60 profile on mine, for no real reason apart from "thats what the manual says".

Keep in mind switching from one to the other will introduce a speedo error of around 1.5% - _probably_ not enough to worry about...

big

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

my cr came spec'd with 120/60's up front. i got two dings in my rims with 60's on when riding on the street. but for the track they should be fine; no pot holes, no speed bumps, no 2X4's, no tire chunks, etc.

never had a ding since with a 70 on.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

Right, the dent deal is very real. the way a 70 series flexes, seems to work better with wider rears, but don't ask me why. If it's important to anyone, I have access to a REAL tire expert & can find out.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

Right, the dent deal is very real.
Hmmm, Maybe we've got "blunter" potholes down here or something (or maybe I've got ninja powers of pothole avoidance!) - somehow I've managed over 50K miles without denting a rim (yet, you watch me go do it on the way home now)

the way a 70 series flexes, seems to work better with wider rears, but don't ask me why.
If it's important to anyone, I have access to a REAL tire expert & can find out.
What I _would_ like to know, is if a 150/60 rear will fit OK on my M750s 4.50" rear rim (matched with my 60 profile front)...

I'd like to at least try it and see how it effects the handling (and how much more quickly it wears). There are some _really_ sticky tires available in that size down here - 250 two stroke production racers have to run street legal 150/60 rears which makes for a bunch of suppliers providing race compound street tires - GRP70s, Rennsport Races, Dragon Corsas and BT009's - they all worked _really_ nicely on my 250 (RIP) on the track, definitely overkill with the stock footpegs and low pipes on the Monster though, not that I'd let _that_ stop me from trying :)

big

·
Premium Member
95 Posts

Another $.02. When I had new tires installed, the shop screwed up and put on a 70 series front tire ('03 620). Didn't think much about it until on the way home, I heard an interesting "buzzing" sound. Turned out the tire was hitiing the "flexible" fender! Took it back and had them put on the correct 60 series tire. End of funny noise. The moral is to check the clearance before going to a 70 from a 60.
Here endeth the lesson!

Eddie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts