Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some dual compound pilot powers at the dealer today, and seeing as my rear is due for a change soon, I toyed with the idea of getting a rear Power 2CT. One of the wrenches told me that it's not good to have different brands between front and rear tires. I'm running diablos right now and the front one has nearly all it's tread still left. Why would I want to throw away a perfectly good tire just to switch to a different brand? I could see why a dealer would want me to throw away a perfectly good tire...

but what do you think?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i'm runing a perelli on the front and a dunlop on the back right now with no issues what so ever. it's a better ride than with the 2 diablos before.

i'm not sure if the dual compound might make a difference though...i'd check into that if i were you.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
granted, their both dunlops, but i've been running a qualifier rear with a "sportmax" (or whatever it is...) front for a few thousand miles now. no problems (except that my front is quickly approaching due for a change).

unless the two tires handle so differently as to be a Real Problem, i think they're just trying to dig a little further into your pocketbook.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Aguacate said:
I was looking at some dual compound pilot powers at the dealer today, and seeing as my rear is due for a change soon, I toyed with the idea of getting a rear Power 2CT. One of the wrenches told me that it's not good to have different brands between front and rear tires. I'm running diablos right now and the front one has nearly all it's tread still left. Why would I want to throw away a perfectly good tire just to switch to a different brand? I could see why a dealer would want me to throw away a perfectly good tire...

but what do you think?
I agree with him.
I would get a New Diablo rear, and switch when that is worn out. BTW I prefer the Michelins, but wouldn't throw out a perfectly good tire either.
I wouldn't go for the 2ct. The regular Powers are more tire than most of us can use on the street.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
+1 on ducpainter's advice...except, I've been very happy with Diablos.
My bike just seems happier to me with that big 'sausage' front.

That said, I've mixed both front and rear Diablos with Pilot Sports with no issues.
But the Sports are not Powers, so YMMV.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The idea behind running the same front and rear is that the front and rear are designed to work together to result in certain handling. If you mix and match, you may end up with some weird handling and odd wear on your tires. In my (fairly limited) experience, your rear will usually run out twice as fast as your front so you're going to be better off putting on the same rear until the front runs out and then switching. Having said that, I just switched to Diablo Corsa IIIs at 9k miles on my stock Diablos.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Aguacate said:

but what do you think?
having had a lot of experiance with mounting and balancing tires, racing and working on bikes for myself as a second business I can honestly say that I would not (personally) run two seperate brands of tires on my bike. Motorcycle tires are designed to work together. Motorcycle tires are naturally good in the rain due to their shape (unless you have one of those old squared off sport touring looking tires). Not so much in the dry but in the rain or wet conditions when the bike is upright the front tire cuts through the water due to its shape and the rear has grooves to help remove the water as to get more traction, when leaned over everything changes as you need more grip at extreme lean angles so the front tires is grooved accordingly, designed to clear a path for the rear tire (one of the reasons a lot of tires dont have any tread on the side most part of the rear tire, when its dry you dont need the tread as you loose traction so it acts like a slick but when it is wet out to compensate for the lack of tread the front tire does a good job of cleaning the upcoming path for the rear tire.

again I am not expert but I have a lot of experiace with tires and have talked to a lot of people consisting of riders, racers and a tires reps both from michelin and dunlop :( I am a pirelli fan [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Sometimes you can mix & match certain tires on a particular bike & get great handling - and sometimes it will feel like the bike has a hinge in the middle. I would try it & you can always change the front if you have a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts