Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 monster 620ie, and just recently I noticed that when I'm on the freeway, or above 60 on the streets, I'm really feeling the bumps in the road (it definitely feels like the front end) to the point where my front violently bounces up and down. At first I thought it was because I was unfamiliar with that specific freeway (210 East from Azusa), but then i noticed the bouncing all the way home on all the other freeways. If I was to imagine a third person view of me riding I would describe the sensation like I was jet-skiing on choppy water, or doing high speed wooptydoos. The motion of the up and down in the front was violent enough that I went into caution mode in case my front wheel flew off or something.

The day before I did pop a wheelie and I came down hard on my front, but I don't know if that is related to what I'm experiencing. I'm wondering if maybe my shocks are bottoming out and that's what's causing me to bounce. Anyone experience bad shocks? I checked my tire pressure and it's all good. Could I have done something by slamming down from a wheelie? Maybe I just need to change the oil out? If anyone has any clue as to why i'm bouncing, please inform. Solutions or suggestions or anything will be appreciated.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Odds are that a good suspension tuning will solve the problem. Not knowing your weight, etc, bikes are delivered with a base setting that is only the starting point. If you are not experienced with setting up a suspension, look for a race shop or repair shop and expect to spend about $45 to get it set up. I wouldn't trust the dealer.

If you really want to try it yourself, do a google search, there are plenty of links, but if you are not an experienced wrench, you stand a good chance of making in worse instead of better.

·
Registered
635 Posts
2003 monster 620ie ...front violently bounces up and down. QUOTE]

good suspension tuning will solve the problem. look for a race shop or repair shop and expect to spend about $45 to get it set up

If you really want to try it yourself, do a google search, there are plenty of links
riskyr,

I have an 05 M620 Dark, I had the same issues you're having; maybe a blessing in disguise, had an accident, a forum member offerd his forks, tuned by RaceTech, for my weight, and now, I'm much happier and my front wont, do what yours do and when braking, I wont see the asphalt detail...

There are many places, depends on your budget. Browse the internet, ask questions and in the end, you'll know what you need, want and can pay for.

Tripod, excellent advice, hope more people would do this... I'm setting my own rear and looking for a 748/996/998 height rod adjuster for my bike...to finish it off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your input. Relieved of the anxiety from not being so sure where on the bike I should put my money into.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts