Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
O.k so I am told one of the upgrades is to change the front sprocket on my monster 800 to a 14t and this will improve what now ?
please help me with this one and rear sprocket as well what does this do exactly and lastly who's a good source to buy them from considering I am for sure going to do it just for the sake of being able to be with my baby and working on her. ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
the 14t will lower your overall gearing. it makes the bike accelerate faster and it is easier to start from a stop. you will lose 4-500 rpm in top gear at any given speed but that is a small price to pay for the change in the bike's rideability. also helps with exit speed- more! adding a larger rear sprocket lowers the gearing even more but you will probaly have to replace the chain. you will increase top end rpm some more and the bike will accel even faster. put the 14t on first then decide if you need more teeth in the rear. if you lower the gearing too much you then have problems keeping the front wheel on the ground when you give it a handfull of throttle.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
the sprocket mod makes it a total different monster.
Plus, the losing that extra tooth really lowers the weight of the front end ;D

·
Registered
796 Posts
Talk to Chris at Ca-cycleworks He can get you Afam sprockets which are very high quality. He will also give you the low down on what difference it will make.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Switching from a 15-tooth front to a 14-tooth improves the behavior of just about every model of Ducati made during the last decade. It makes a bigger difference in ridability than the 7% change would suggest.

After I had had my M900 for about six months, I swapped the 39 for a 41-tooth rear, which is about a 5% change. It made it feel better pulling away from a stop, and made an improvement in behavior cruising in 6th gear as well.

When I bought my ST2 a few months ago it also had stock gearing (15/42, but slightly higher than the 15/39 of the Monster for some reason) and felt too high pulling away from a stop. I decided to leave the gearing alone, since it's a "high speed touring bike", but after riding it in the twisties a while, I determined that 6th gear was also too high.

I ordered a 14-tooth front from Chris Kelley, it arrived when I had a little spare time, so I had it installed within about 20 minutes of the mail carrier dropping it into my mail box. If anything, the 14-tooth makes a bigger improvement to the ST2 than to the Monster. It feels so much better to ride the bike. I don't get the clutch groan pulling away from stops, it's much easier to pull away from a stop, requiring less throttle. All of the gears feel more natural when riding around. And I actually feel like shifting into 6th even when I'm not on the freeway. The gearing felt awkward before and feels natural after the change.

Switching from a 14-tooth front is such a big improvement for so little cost and effort that I highly recommend it for everyone. It's easy enough to switch it back if you don't like it, so it's not a big risk. Change the gearing, you'll be glad you did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts