Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Having gone from a 14t to.a 15t on my M696, then from a 15t to a 14t on my M1100, I've gone full circle. My advice is go with what feels right. I kept hitting the rev limiter on the 696, and reverting to a 15t helped. I got tired of slipping the clutch from stops on the M1100, and the 14t fixed that. Plus, in-town riding is transformed. The engine is in the "happy" rev range more often, so much fun! I like it so much I am going with a 14t on my 848 Superbike. Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

*MDWM*

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

The Diavel has the same gearing except our Monsters have a 41 rear, not the 43 of the Diavel. Obviously the rear tire is a 190/55 instead of the 240/45 and the chain is probably a little shorter but it should give you some ideas about gearing. (also don't forget to change the redline to 10,800...a weird quirk the gearing commander dude has). Multistrada also uses the same gearbox but with 15/40 gearing.

Anyways, I don't think my Monster needs to be geared to 182MPH. Testastretta's I've ridden enough to get a good gauge:

Multistrada: 15/40
Diavel: 15/43
Diavel: 14/43
Monster 1200S: 15/41

Of those, I enjoyed the 15/43 on the Diavel the best and will eventually change the Monster to match. I ride some pretty regular routes and the 15/43 with that motor and gearbox felt the best to me. I spent less time feeling like I was between gears in traffic and didn't have to go supersonic to have a need for sixth. ;)

That being said, to finish the thought, the 14/43 was grand fun in the slower stuff but I found it a bit too buzzy for highway work.

Hope that is helpful instead of just demeaning, nothing wrong with wanting your cogs closer. :)

Very good info here. Thanks.
As summarily mentioned, tire circumferences are different.
For those who want to match the Diavel's 15/43 as close as possible on the Monster, you should go with a 200/55 rear tire.
The 200/55 ( stock OEM size on the M1200R) is nearly identical in circumference to the 240/45. In fact, the 200/55 is a smidgen larger.
The 190/55 has a smaller circumference than both the 200/55 and the 240/45 and is "theoretically" equivalent to adding about a 1/2 rear tooth on a stock Diavel.

Tire Size Calculator
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=200-55r17-240-45r17

Reactions: Kidnplay01
I put a 14t on mine and hated the feel of the bike and went back to 15t. To me I felt like the bike lost the mid to top end launch and I was slamming thru the gears like crazy. Although it did seem to help with the bottom end a little but not enough that I wanted to keep it on.

I put a 14t on mine and hated the feel of the bike and went back to 15t. To me I felt like the bike lost the mid to top end launch and I was slamming thru the gears like crazy. Although it did seem to help with the bottom end a little but not enough that I wanted to keep it on.
-1F @ 14T is equivalent to +3R @ 44T.
The consensus sweet spot seems to be +2R @ 43T.

Reactions: Kidnplay01
I personally would never buy a 14T front sprocket. Sure it drops your gear ratio but I always go +2 or 3 on the rear. More expensive but better. It takes a lot of p9wer to wrap a chain around a tight little 14T ! Evferything wears faster and hard on everything.

I personally would never buy a 14T front sprocket. Sure it drops your gear ratio but I always go +2 or 3 on the rear. More expensive but better. It takes a lot of p9wer to wrap a chain around a tight little 14T ! Evferything wears faster and hard on everything.
I've gone -1F to 14T on my Panigale with great results and no undue wear and tear. I know many others that have done the same with equal satisfaction.
It's a cheap way to experiment if your OEM chain and sprockets are half way in their lifespan.
However, if you already know what you like, then yes, changing the rear would be better especially for the Monster since I believe -1F or +3R equivalent is too much.

I'm going +2R as well. Already purchased a new 15T front, 43T rear.
Italians must think there's no speed limits in North-America as all their bikes are geared too long, especially the Panigale.
I went -1F on the Pani and +2R at the first service on my new Multistrada.

Has any one done a 15/43 on a 1200R?
Chain length 110 or 111?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.