Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Monster 800ie

My front sprocket is rusted stuck on the shaft. I cant believe Ducati doesn't put grease on the shaft in the factory but whatever. I tried a 5 ton puller and it mushroomed the screw head on the puller!! The thing is on there solid, any ideas on how I can get this thing off?? I dont want to pound on it because of damaging the drive shaft.

Help!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah ive been hitting it with PB for like 2 hours now letting it sit, still no dice. Got another puller and it had so much pressure on it one of the bolt heads snapped off. Ive tried 2 pullers, one that grabs the outside, the other is a steering wheel puller and I got some long bolts that go inside the retaining bolt holes. The bolt snapped LOL. My next thing is going to be heat it up and melt a candle down the splines, its an old boat trick for rusted on nuts and bolts. Works amazing on rusty nuts, I just moved and left alot of my tools behind so I dont have my torch. Guess ill have to buy one

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it off!!! 3 sessions of heating it up, melting the candle down the splines, and using a steering wheel puller it slipped right off. Such a relief, the last attempt I told myself if this didn't do it im cutting the thing off with a die grinder.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In case you guys ever need to deal with some rusty parts again.....a 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone is THE best penetrant I have ever used. Makes PB Blaster look like Windex. Give it a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts