Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off mods, I know this should be in Tech or Accessories and Mods, but I need an answer FAST and this forum gets read alot more frequently.

Correct me of I am wrong, but on 1999 and older bikes, the front sprocket slides on the the output shaft and then is held in place by a steel plate that offsets in a groove on the shaft and then is bolted to the sprocket with 2 allen head bolts...right?

And 2000+ bikes use a sprocket that has a "spacer" on the back side and a bolt or a nut with a washer in the center of the shaft to hold the sprocket in place?

I just recieved my chain and sprocket which I ordered for a 2000 and while the chain was about 14 links too long, the rear sprocket and the chain are fine. But my thinking is since my bike was an "earlier" 2000, maybe it has the 'old' style front sprocket.

Am I off base here?
I need to know asap and hopefully, I can call the vendor tomorrow and have them get me the correct sprocket before the weekend. My bike by choice is my primary source of transportation and I have already cut the old chain. I know I know...jumped the gun before making sure all parts were correct.

TIA for the info.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
IIRC, -01 is the oddball here w a special "spacer" front sprocket.
Why not just compare old & new sprocket?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
"Correct me of I am wrong, but on 1999 and older bikes, the front sprocket slides on the the output shaft and then is held in place by a steel plate that offsets in a groove on the shaft and then is bolted to the sprocket with 2 allen head bolts...right?"

That's the way my sprocket mounts on my '99 M750 [thumbsup]

·
Banned
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
greenmonster said:
IIRC, -01 is the oddball here w a special "spacer" front sprocket.
Why not just compare old & new sprocket?
Which is why I am posting. I ordered the part for the correct year as my bike is titled a 2000. It also shows a build date of 9/1999 which suggests model year 2000. And the part they sent me even states on the packaging 2000-2002 Monster 900.

I just wanted to make sure on the part fitment before I called and told them, I know I order this but can we exchange it for this...

Thanks for the info guys.

Ryan

·
Banned
897 Posts
I'm not sure if it's all the '00 900, or the 900S models, but I do know the 900Sie has an oddball sprocket. It still mounts with the plate and 2 screws but the lateral offset on the shaft is different.

·
Registered
541 Posts
02' 620
plate and allen bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts