Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed the front sprocket of the 696 to a 14T. My problem is timing. It may just take getting used to or finding the right gear - but going into a corner with the stock setup (15T) left me with plenty of room to roll on the throttle through the turn.... Now I am finding myself needing to shift mid turn... I am self taught - and maybe shifting in a turn is ok - but for me it seems like it kills momentum. I may just go back to the stock setup - but in a straight line it feels quicker....

Any thoughts, suggestions or opinions out there?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I recently changed the front sprocket of the 696 to a 14T. My problem is timing. It may just take getting used to or finding the right gear - but going into a corner with the stock setup (15T) left me with plenty of room to roll on the throttle through the turn.... Now I am finding myself needing to shift mid turn... I am self taught - and maybe shifting in a turn is ok - but for me it seems like it kills momentum. I may just go back to the stock setup - but in a straight line it feels quicker....

Any thoughts, suggestions or opinions out there?
Seems to me you were in too low a gear going into the turn. You must have already been at the upper edge of your rev range, bing in the next higher gear would have probably put you into the meat of your torque curve, and provided more drive out of the turn. Also being 1 gear higher would make the biek less prone to weight shifts as you play the throttle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You should not be shifting until you get just past the apex and want to start standing the bike up accelerating and then start up-shifting. When entering a turn you want to get your braking done (since you beginning we won't trail brake) and get the bike revs right around the meat of the power band prob around 6-7K on the 696 and while in the turn you just want to apply a little bit of throttle to keep the revs constant and smooth. The secret of riding well (fast) is to be smooth you do want to go into the turns having to brake or shift after you've leaned the bike over. There are some great books on cornering I suggest you read "twist of the wrist" which will explain in depth how to get the most out of yourself and the bike. Just remember to always ride in your comfort level and above be safe & practice your corner entry if you get into the turn correctly your exits will become loads of fun !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try and pay more attention to my rpms in a turn - but I do my braking before I counter steer to lean the bike... i don't look at my rpms - but i try to feel / listen for the bottom of the power band and I work on rolling on the throttle right after the apex. (Termis help me find the bottom) What I am finding since switching out the front sprocket though is that I run out of room in many turns and find I need to shift.

I think I need to go back to the 15T front - but it is more fun in a straight line with the 14T....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Greg, next time your in the turn count in your head one thou one, one thou 2,ect. until your out of the turn and unless you in a real long sweeper like over 5 or 6 seconds you should not need to shift even at 5 or 6 seconds you should be able to find the correct gear and stay in it. The problem is not the 14T sprocket. You said your self taught & theres nothing wrong with that except without getting some help you will never progress to a high level of skill and understanding as we are are worst enemy's when it comes to learning to really ride a motorcycle as opposed to the bike riding you. If you have the patience and a little cash read some books & take an instructional school at a race track. It took me a few years and plenty of coaching & studying to become a fast smooth rider. Good Luck with whatever path you choose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You said your self taught & theres nothing wrong with that except without getting some help you will never progress to a high level of skill and understanding as we are are worst enemy's when it comes to learning to really ride a motorcycle as opposed to the bike riding you.
i agree - that is the great thing about this forum. I will pick up the book and count through my next round-about - thanks for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts