Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front fender had some cracks near the bolts that was causing it to widdle and clank against the tire (i guess it wasnt designed for jumping table-top-like railroad crossings and speed jumping curbs).. so i yanked it off while looking for a replacement.

After a few days the look without the fender has kinda grown on me.. a little retro with a twist of stripped down sanford-and-son style. Does anyone ride without a front fender? Any downsides besides the obvious in the rain?

-mike

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Haven't BTDT, so not all that valuable.........

Not that the late-model OEM fender is all that great in this department, but you have no fork leg protection against gravel, sand and bugs. Dunno about the early-model fender......

May also increase vulnerability of your oil cooler.

N

·
0 Posts
I rode around 1.5 years without a front fender after an encounter with a flying rock on the freeway. didnt damage my oil cooler but I prefer the new look with the CF fender ;D

Chris

S

·
0 Posts
yep... all '99+ ducati's (except the 749/999 and multistrada?) use the same fender-mounting straps with the same spacing. they're all pretty much interchangable.
i've got feathercarbon goodies on my s4 but am considering selling them to get armordillocf stuff. same guy, but the armordillocf stuff's a bit cheaper because the cf weave isn't quite as good quality. why do this? well i'm a bit of a nut and want my fenders' weave to match the belt-covers'... feathercarbon doesn't make beltcovers and i don't think they will since the s4's version ONLY fits on the s4 (too small a market)... pics on my site if anybody's interested (spam!)...

EDIT:
if anybody's interested, they're in the classified section =)

·
Registered
91 Posts
that's a good piece of info Strati, thanks. I might just go ahead and get a superbike front fender.

David

S

·
0 Posts
well there's that snazzy feathercarbon unit i'm selling if you're interested ;D
it's in the classifieds along with my short rear hugger (spam!)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I also needed a front fender & bought an 00 sbk fender. On the rear end of the fender it looks like there should be something mounted there. Am I missing a piece - or is the fender one piece? Is there something that should be mounted on the rear end (facing engine)?

R

·
0 Posts
are you talking about the brakeline furrow?
if that is what you mean it's okay to leave as is.
There is a clip that gets mounted that the left side superbike line goes through and over the furrow and on to the t.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That must be what it is. Did you do anything to it? I wonder if body filler would work - or if I could merely cut it just before the mount.

R

·
0 Posts
you could, but I kinda like the what's that look myself on the bikes I have seen with the sbk fender. I have also seen similiar fenders without the clip hole or furrow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FYI, if you're looking for a fender on ebay or something, note that the ST front fenders should work, too (tho not sure if the years correspond with the SBK/monster front fender compatibility), and provide even more coverage of the forks. That's what I have on mine, and it's worked out great! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
A labor of love and always a work in progress, Tony, as I'm sure most of you can relate to. I actually made good on my promise to take pics of the Cycle Cat clip-ons (I think you may have been among those who requested pics) and will post 'em later today. Don't think I have any full shots of the bike on this roll, will take one on the next . . .

·
Registered
39 Posts
yep... all '99+ ducati's (except the 749/999 and multistrada?) use the same fender-mounting straps with the same spacing. they're all pretty much interchangable.
Strati, I looked the pic in your ad, and the spacing on the holes looks too wide to mount to my '99. I've seen other sites advertise their parts fit 99+, but my '99 has the smaller spacing on the fork lowers. Click my avatar pic for a larger image to see what I mean. I'd love to mount an SBK-style fender, but whose will fit?

S

·
0 Posts
whoops! my bad dude... you're right on the spacing. if you're still interested in finding a SBK style fender, you can bolt on any stock unit from a '98 or prior supersport. if you want a carbon fiber one, i don't feathercarbon/armordillocf makes one with the narrow gapping, but i know motowheels and spareshack sell carbon versions with the narrow spacing for earlier monsters ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I e-mailed Joe @ motostrano. He says '99 was something of a crossover year. Some were the new-style while others still had the older-style forks.

Thanks for the info on the other suppliers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts