Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the original monsters were parts bin specials and that the S2R 800/1000 were lacking in the suspension department. As I don't have a front end yet, I'm looking for feedback on what you all think is the best replacement (not Ohlins...that comes later) from Ducati or if there are other front ends that will bolt on to an '07 S2R frame.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Bang for your buck : Showa adjustable forks from a Monster or an SS. The SS is a tiny bit shorter but totally usable . Any model that uses your same wheel and brakes so it’s a bolt on. Then you buy GSXR 01-04 fork legs ( upside down) and swap in all of the internals except springs. These differ from the Ducati internals , larger cartridges, larger rods, and totally separate compression and rebound circuits . You then need to buy Racetech springs for Ducati forks as the GSXR springs are too large in diameter and won’t fit in the tubes.
I also used the GSXR adjusters. There are threads on this conversion on Ducati.ms.
You can usually get a decent rebuildable set of Showas for about $250, The GSXR fork legs might cost $50-150 ( I found a wrecked set with good guts cheap) and RaceTech straight rate springs were about $100/ pr. You end up with a very nice set of forks , sprung for your weight, with improved damping and adjustment, for under $500.
You can recoup some of that selling your leftover forks and stuff if you want.
There are a more installation details , read the posts and decide.
I think you will be very pleased with the results and you can’t beat it at that price.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sorry, should have read closer, ‘07 S2R has a different front wheel than the 3 spoke Brembos. This conversion works on bikes with the Brembos, but I think you need to start with adjustable Showas that will accept your brake/ wheel, to keep cost down. Sorry.
Maybe need S4R forks to start, might be hard to come by. I am not sure of how good the stock S4R fork internals are, maybe better than the older models ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, should have read closer, ‘07 S2R has a different front wheel than the 3 spoke Brembos. This conversion works on bikes with the Brembos, but I think you need to start with adjustable Showas that will accept your brake/ wheel, to keep cost down. Sorry.
Maybe need S4R forks to start, might be hard to come by. I am not sure of how good the stock S4R fork internals are, maybe better than the older models ?
Soooo, I actually do not have the wheels or brakes yet. I would like to stay with the stock 5 spoke style and also, i don't have the brakes yet.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sometimes people here sell a complete front end set up, forks, wheel, brakes. Check our classified section. You don’t have wheels or brakes ? This is going to get expensive fast.
On eBay there are bike breakers that part out perfectly good Ducatis . Do a search for Ducati parts and see what else they have available . Sometimes they don’t list everything they have. Putting Superbike forks on other Ducatis is always popular. I’m not really aware of which adjustable forks are an easy swap to an S2R. Measure your top and bottom triple inner diameters, or you might end up needing new triples too.
Why don’t you do a “Search” for fork swap threads ? You might find someo who’s already done it on your bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts