Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this question is for my ST2, but I know the Monsters have the same brake switch setup.

The switch to cause the front brake to turn on the brake light closes the circuit when you pull on the front brake. There is a tiny switch that bolts to the brake lever mounting bracket with tiny screws, with a button about 1mm in diameter that opens the circuit when it is depressed about half a millimeter. When the brake lever is released, it presses the button.

The question is: what is between the brake lever and that switch?

I'm guessing that it is a round ball bearing or something, but I ended up carving a little cylinder out of wood to fix my brake light. If it's a ball bearing, anybody know where I can get one the right size?

I would like to find out who at Ducati invented such a system where it's so easy to lose the part. You probably have to buy a whole brake assembly to get the replacement too.

M

·
0 Posts
There is a small plastic dowel that actuates the switch. When you buy a new switch from Ducati, it comes with both screws and the plastic dowel. I may have a spare dowel, if you want it let me know and I'll look for it.

Cheers
Brian Brown

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have a spare dowel, if you want it let me know and I'll look for it.
That would be great. I have no idea how long the wooden piece I made will last.

You would think a good Ducati dealer would have drawers full of the little parts like that, that people are likely to lose. I have no hope for my local dealer, expecially since last time I tried buying an oil filter from them they had to look it up in a parts catalog.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I can't recall if I have a spare in my box. I'll look.

Another thought though: I've noticed my hardware store has various sizes of metal dowels in the "loose parts" trays. When I looked at them, I thought there was probably one that would be the right size for that brake light switch.

I ALWAYS warn poeple about that little bugger. You don't expect it to be there and once you hear it hit the floor, it's probably history unless you keep a very clean neat shop!

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
One of my co-workers lost that thing while we were working on his Monster. We found a piece of scrap welding rod and cut it to size.

Three years later and I'm pretty sure that it's still in there.

--Fillmore

1 - 5 of 5 Posts