Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was riding in to work when, out of no where, my front brake became very difficult to pull.

I rode yesterday with no hint of an issue.

I even embarked on my journey today with no issue, but a mile from my house the issue revealed itself at a traffic light.

Details:
'96 Ducati monster M900
Brembo brakes

Yesterday the brake lever had plenty of travel with a firm feeling

This morning was no different until I came to a stop light.

While stopped I released the brake lever to walk the bike up in inching traffic, and I applied the brake again to find that there was no travel, but the brake engaged very abruptly.

I release the lever, and the front brake takes a second to release. I turned around and rode home using the back brake. I tested again at low speed. The problem persists.

My first thought is the master cylinder. Does anyone else have any feedback?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting... I'll take a look. I hadn't considered that. I left the bike alone this weekend until I went to move it to the garage last night. Lever felt proper again, but the caliper was still binding after I released the brake. After a second it would release.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When was the last time you bled the brakes adn replaced the fluid?

Possible contamination around the seals? What shape are the pads in? Lots of life yet, or are the pistons almost fully extended?

There shouldn't be a lot of play in the lever to begin with, I have very little pull to full lock.

I'd try a full fluid replacement first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, here is an update. I found the problem to be in the front right caliper. I took one off at a time and tested to see which (if not both) were not releasing. I cleaned the caliper and lubricated the pistons with silicon lube.

After extending the pistons a few times and pushing them back, everything seemed great. I then pushed the pistons back in the last time to reinstall the pads, and when I pushed the two on one side back this time, one of the pistons on the other side popped out. I carefully put it back, and bled the brakes, but I think it is time to rebuild that caliper- or all three for good measure.

I have read posts about having trouble finding a rebuild kit. Has anyone found a reliable place to get them yet?

I have a '96 m900 (brembo brakes)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts