Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for new tires on my '95 M900 and I'm having a hell of a time getting the front axle off. I understand that you need to leave the left side pinch bolts tight when trying to take the axle out but I can't get that thing to budge a millimeter. I'm thinking of using an impact gun on it... Bad idea? My Haynes manual does say that it's supposed to around 55 ft-lbs... That's pretty tight...

·
Banned
897 Posts
pretty sure you want to loosen the pinch bolts on both sides, at least that's the way my '00 works.

My bad, I just checked the Haynes manual, it says loosen the right fork pinch bolts and unscrew the axle. Dunno what to tell ya.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Sure axle is fully unscrewed? At least 15 mm should be showing.
Just to be sure, no offence.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I think the problem erkishhorde is having is that the axle won't screw. 55 ft lbs isn't very tight. The lug nuts on your car are probably about 80. Your problem is either corrosion or the tech who installed the axle last time was a gorilla. I would try the impact if you can't get it to turn, but you do need to know when to quit.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Reread, think you`re right, Howie... :-[

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, I can't get the axle to unscrew. I also don't happen to have an allen that big with a socket holder so I'm making one up out of a hex-head bolt. :-\ At least that's the idea... Since I've also got a leaky fork seal I'm thinking of just taking the whole thing into Spectrum Motorsports to have them change the tire and fork seal all at once. This ain't gonna be cheap... :-\

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I replaced my tires 2 days ago and the ''tire man'' did the following to extract the front rim and replace the front tire. He unscrewed the
calipers, the 2 golden bolts at each side of the bottom of the fork, the axle nut and then he took a little hammer and hit the axle...and voila.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
He unscrewed the
calipers, the 2 golden bolts at each side of the bottom of the fork, the axle nut and then he took a little hammer and hit the axle...and voila.
That`s how I do it. Except left side "golden bolts" must be unscrewed.
Otherwise axle would just spin.
The axle will usually be quite tight/corroded, try a little more force than you`d like.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Axle nut...? ;D You guys and your new monsters with their nice axle nut. My old '95 M900 doesn't have an axle nut. The right end of the axle has a hex hole and it's threaded on the left side (or so I assume since I haven't actually gotten it out). I'd say it's a good... 15mm? allen and I don't even have an allen that big let alone one fit with a socket that I can use on an impact.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
erkishhorde said:
Axle nut...? ;D You guys and your new monsters with their nice axle nut. My old '95 M900 doesn't have an axle nut. The right end of the axle has a hex hole and it's threaded on the left side (or so I assume since I haven't actually gotten it out). I'd say it's a good... 15mm? allen and I don't even have an allen that big let alone one fit with a socket that I can use on an impact.
Erik, do you have the tires yet? I can be of assistance but youd need to come down here.

The hex is 14mm, go to Sears and get one of them in 1/2" drive and long breaker bar.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I tried the trick of making up a tool to unscrew the axle on my 95 M900 from a bolt and a couple of nuts welded together - 9/16 wrench size dressed to fit in the 14mm axle. Broke it a couple of times. Ended up going to the AutoZone and buying the 3-piece metric hex key set that includes a 14mm hex socket.

The axles stick in place once torqued to spec. You pretty much need the 14mm hex socket. In other words, it takes more to remove the axle than to torque it in place.

And the advice about leaving the left side pinch bolts tight and loosening the right side completely is the correct method.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't find a store around me that sells a 14mm allen let alone a 14 mm allen socket. ??? Neither of the 2 Sears by me have anything that big, the "specialty" Tools 'R Us has 1/2" and 9/16" sockets but no metrics that big. Home Depot, Lowes, Osh (not that I expected them to) don't have it either. :mad:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
erkishhorde said:
I can't find a store around me that sells a 14mm allen let alone a 14 mm allen socket. ??? Neither of the 2 Sears by me have anything that big, the "specialty" Tools 'R Us has 1/2" and 9/16" sockets but no metrics that big. Home Depot, Lowes, Osh (not that I expected them to) don't have it either. :mad:
Try AutoZone. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried them too. Didn't have it. They suggested Napa Automotive but they were closed at the time.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
erkishhorde said:
I was able to get a large set of allen wrenches for like $6 at harbor freight. You could buy that, and if you can't get it off with the wrench, then cut the wrench and put it in a 14mm 1/2" dr socket.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I'm surprised an Auto Zone wouldn't have them. Other parts stores, I wouldn't be surprised. But it appears to be a regular stock item at all A Zs.

If you get a blank stare from the salesperson, tell them you are looking for a 1/2 inch drive hex bit set - that is what the package I got from Auto Zone has on it. "OEM" Brand. The set includes 12mm, 14mm, & 17mm. The package also has "Great for rear end and drain plugs"

Somebody will have them, but not Sears, Lowes, etc.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm... That's a good idea Mark. My mom was the one that called for it since I was running around checking stores in person like an idiot and she said they had no clue what she was talking about. I called the Harbor Freight by me and they said they didn't have it.

I was hoping to get a 14mm allen for a 1/2 drive socket but if I couldn't I was gonna get a 14mm allen and cut it and throw it in a 14mm socket like toolfan said.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I still remember not being able to loosen the axle on the 97 Monster when I wanted to put on a new front axle. I finally made a run about 40 miles north to Concord, to the nearest AutoZone and bought their last 3-piece metric hex key set.

I had tried a double-nutted bolt and it just didn't work. With the right tool, the axle was quite easy to get loose.

Forget a regular allen wrench, the handles are too short. Buy the right tool.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just had the same issue. Tried the hex bolt thing and it would not move. Even welded something together and it just broke. Finally found a 10 piece set with 14mm and 17mm at Harbor Freight for $12. It came off in 2 seconds with a simple 1/2 drive!

I have also seen a set on ebay if you can wait for shipping.

Get the right tool and it WILL come off easily.

PS- keep the left side tight!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.