Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me what happened and how to fix this?

I was riding my '02 Monster 620 home in the rain, going freeway speeds so the throttle was cranked pretty far. When I got to my exit I pulled in the clutch to shift down when my throttle wouldn't un-WOT. :eek: I could change gears and twist the throttle just fine and just barely let go of the clutch to engage the engine, but it stayed screaming the entire time as if I had her fully opened. Twisting the throttle did nothing.

I fiddled with whatever I could immediately see and touch and nothing looked or felt stuck. What gives?? :confused:

·
Registered
203 Posts
How about some more info such as recent modifications done? For example if you just changed grips, ding ding ding! Or if you messed with the handlebar position that would be another likely culprit.

If not I would check the cable. Either its frayed or it is getting stuck or stretched somewhere and is not allowing the throttle to go back to closed throttle.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Think of it as cruise control ala Toyota.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I pulled to the side of the road, I cut the engine and fiddled with the throttle and everything I could reach but nothing seemed off. When I got back on the bike it was still stuck wide open even though I didn't see anything. About an hour after getting home I went back out, looked at everything again and flicked anything I could reach, saw nothing, started her up and everything is back to normal.

About 3 months ago I added Genmar bar risers. I plan on getting a new, longer cable soon but this recent adventure will probably have that purchase come sooner rather than later.

So, other than a possible cable issue, is there maybe a more insidious/dangerous problem I should look into?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
how much more of a dangerous problem do you expect? I destroyed my m900 at the track due to a throttle lock. When youre on the hiway, its one thing. But when you dont let off WOT until the LAST second you can wait for before turn 1 at the end of the straight.........well, you're in trouble if it doesnt cut right away.

·
Registered
168 Posts
you might need to rotate your throttle housing (at the bars) down a bit to make it easier to twist and release throttle.

I would make sure your throttle housing at the grips hasn't rotated, check for any sharp turns/kinks at the cable. apply WD-40 at the throttle control wheel (dunno what it's called) at the engine. And finally, lube the hell out of that cable! make sure you lube it up in the throttle housing as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts