Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased a 03 Monster 620 from hearing all the good things about it. Had a Ninja 250. Waiting for the shop to put the lowering kit on it. How does the bike handle on the freeway?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I haven't ridden one on the freeway, but a couple of the guys I ride with have 620's and following them on the freeway it all looks good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I learned how to ride on a Suzuki GS500, that thing used to scare the crap out of me on the Freeway...In LA there are little groves that make you feel like your riding on ice..This weekend I picked up my M750 and WOW!! It's like David Blaine came and just made those grooves disapear...The overall mass and power make the ride sooo much smoother...I'm sure the 620 is the same way....Ride safe!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Riding a Monster on the freeway is the best. It tracks so true on the asphalt. I use to hate the freeway before I got the monster :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Personally, I used to feel that my M750 was a little twitchy on the freeway - no trouble whatsoever with grooves or other surface irregularities, but I found that any wind buffet on my shoulders would make it twitch a little. No big deal once I got used to it, and the issue disappeared completely when I moved the controls a little closer together to make room for the CRG mirrors.

M.

·
Registered
237 Posts
freeway riding is great. its really only there where i can hear the monster scream like she's supposed to! the only problem i seem to find is the wind noise being irritating.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I see freeways as a Necessary Evil, and take the alternate twisty route whenever I can. It may be more miles, but it always *feels* faster to me.

My only gripe about the monster on a freeway is if you get one of those rhythmic bumping concrete slab stretches you can feel all beat to hell by the time you're done. Then again maybe that's a function of my soon-to-be-replaced rear shock being toast.

If you really do a lot of freeway work you might want to look at a small fairing if you don't have one already. They're pretty useless below 30 mph, but up around 70-80 they definitely improve things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an 03 620 and even if you paid me I don't think I could come up with something bad to say about it on the freeway ........have fun ;D

·
Registered
447 Posts
No Problemo! It does around 70 mph at 5000 rpm. At 5000 rpm, you are approaching the power curve so you have plenty of torque to pull away from anyone. No buzziness. I rode around without a fairing for a couple of months until I got a flyscreen. Not too bad, but I do appreciate the minimal wind deflection.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
My 620 rides good on the freeway, much better than my Honda NX250

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The freeway is ok...here in LA there are "lumps" that are evenly spaced, almost like expansion joints, that drive me crazy. After a while I feel like a bobble head doll. Perhaps all bikes do that on the freeway. It's irritating but not dangerous or anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ride a BMW F650CS (which will hopefully have an m620 parked beside it next year! ;) ) that has a tiny little windscreen. I've wondered if I'd almost prefer nothing, because it launches the wind right at my head, but if I tuck down right, the bulk of the buffeting is sent over my head.

I don't mind getting hit with some wind and don't find it dreadfully uncomfortable, but I prefer a nice winding road, or just about any other route, to bombing along the freeway with the masses, so like Michael, I just view them as a necessary evil.

I'm looking forward to trying a 620 on the freeway and see what's like to feel "planted." The CS has a twitchy front end, which is fine when you realize that it is planted and not going anywhere, but was a bit nervewracking my first couple of freeway runs.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I think they pour "sections" about 12' long, and they cup up at the ends as the concrete cures. With the "sporty" ( as opposed to "sportbike" ;D) suspension calibration on our monsters, I don't think it moves much at all at 60 mph on the freeway. Sometimes I feel like I should be wearing a kidney belt...

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I ride on the Freeway when I 'have to'... usually to get to a better road/place where the riding is more fun.

That's not to say the 620 doesn't do super-slab well, it does... and since it's my first bike I don't really have a point of reference other than a car... so it's windier and noisier... (duh..).

one word: earplugs...

they make a big difference at high speeds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts