Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After inspecting the headlight on my monster I realized that there is a metal shield that covers the tip of the bulb. Most modern bulbs, like the silverstars, have the tip already painted. So I took apart the headlight assembly and removed the shield. I was surprised at how big it was, probably about 3". It shouldn't affect focus too much because the fluted lens shapes the light, not the reflector, like on clear lensed lights. It's light out right now, so I can't really tell how much it improved the output, but I'll post an update later.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hmm... I havn't tried this, but from pure physics I would think that this would make it worse. I'm pretty sure that the reflector installed in the headlamp fixture and the paint on the bulb perform separate functions.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the part is a reflector. It is made of a rough finished metal that doesn't reflect light really well. I think it is more of a shield to block foreward light from the bulb.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the H4 bulb is dual filament, one for high beam, one for low. The shiny back part of the housing is a reflector, it reflects the light towards the lens. The lens is the textured glass part. It's the glass that shapes/focuses the light. As far as i know, the shield thing is a "glare shield" to block direct light from the bulb. Since the tips of modern bulbs are already painted, there would be no need for the shield.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
OK, so did it make the light brighter or what?

·
Registered
541 Posts
get with the actual info.....lets go here!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just got home and found out that I can't take night shots without a tripod. DOH!!!! The light output seems to be a bit brighter. Nothing revolutionary though. But for a free mod, why not. Here are some pics of how it's done.

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
Holy cow, that looks photoshopped! Are you sure you didn't just paint a big white circle there? Just kidding...

Do you think it would be offensive to oncoming motorists? If not I may try that when I siwtch to the Silverstar bulb. I know some bikers don't care, but I ride 99.9% of the time with only the low beam.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The light cut off looks real simmilar to the stock set up, flat on the left with a little kick up on the right.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Isnt that a shroud to stop you dazzling oncoming drivers on the other side of the road?
The bulb wont do this and it'll be masking the relevant part of the reflector.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Someone said earlier that this might be a device to allow correct reflection of low-beam and high-beam filaments. Maybe without this device you are not distinguishing a correct distribution of these (ie - you always have a highbeam on.) ??

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The shield is there to prevent glare from blinding on coming motorists. That is why the light looks so bright in the photo. You might get an increase in light, but, IMO, not worth the increase in glare.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I would not want to blind oncoming motorists, so they can see even less of you except for your light. It is alrady dangerous enough driving at night with oncoming cars.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I personally like it and maybe the old bat that always pulls out in front of me will go blind and won't be able to drive anymore.. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [clap] >:D

·
Registered
799 Posts
SCDuc said:
I personally like it and maybe the old bat that always pulls out in front of me will go blind and won't be able to drive anymore.. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [clap] >:D
you mean she wont be able to see after she pulls out in front of you... so she slows down and as you pass her she swerves over and hits you. sorry, i couldnt resist....

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics Pnut. Any ride reports yet?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts