Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this 2006 rebuilt monster. However, I am rather sure it has a 2003 engine on it as it is only a 5 speed. It has a smaller racing sprocket, rear aluminum sprocket, had the ECU sported out, but ran a little crappy so the ECU and TPS are now set to stock, wider rear tire,and some aesthetic mods and such.

My questions are:

1) Slipping?
I had been riding a CBR 600 RR and loved how responsive it was. When hitting full throttle on this monster, however, it revs way up and you can finally feel the acceleration after a little while and then the speed actually eases up with the engine noise. Is this normal on Ducati's? It honestly feels like the clutch is slipping. I am about to swap the gears back to stock as the rear sprocket was hollowing out for some reason, and the chain became lose for some reason. Not sure if that would cause the slip or not, but I hate this feel. When I hit the gas, I want the engine to supply that power to the rear tire right then.

2) Power?
I know this is just a 620 and a V-Twin, but shouldn't it have some more low end get up? Maybe this is due to the slipping, but I can't get the front end up for nothing. The CBR 600 RR was sick with acceleration. Now I have been raised on high RPM's and this V-Twin is a huge adjustment for me. When I red-line this thing, my thought is I'm just about to start hitting the power band. It's kind of disappointing.

However, I must say, this thing is very comfortable even with the lowered bars and is down right fun to ride around on. I currently wouldn't change the style, but the engine swap is inevitable. So my next question, which I know has been touched in this site, but figure I would at least let you guys know my plan:

3) 900 Swap
Anyone got a 900 engine complete with all electronics? Can anyone point me to a thread where this has been more then talked about and actually done?

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds like its slipping to me...

As far as the power goes...the 620 wont run with a cbr. My last bike was a zx6r, and I have a 900 monster now. I can't compare the two, the Ninja was much faster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's probably bad I ask this in here, (mind you I love riding my monster) but what's the point of these v-twins? They seem to use a lot of fuel for not much efficiency in power. Maybe I am too spoiled from 2-cycles as a kid. I miss those engines...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update... The guys I got this from had thought he "tuned" it for sport, but it was only sucking down fuel. He also had a smaller gear on it that had me revving way too high with no results. It's back to stock, and while still a little slow compared to the CBR 600RR, it sure is fun and gets the job done as my daily driver!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts