Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use Frank Thomas gear? Any particular pros or cons to these? I'm looking into getting a pair of the Frank Thomas spectre gloves, versus the Dainese X-1 glove...the difference is about $45, so I'm trying to see which is better...for price and quality...i would only be using the gloves for touring, no racing involved...that being said, I rather be well protected in case something bad happens (**knock on wood**)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just got some Dainese gloves, No Compliants! Probably would have got Frank Thomas if the Dainese weren't on clearance... The guy I was dealing with at Cycle Gear said that is what he had (Frank T.) and he gets a discount?!?! So I don't think there is anything wrong with them... For me the dainese also fit better, Frank T pinky was too big for me... So fitment might be an issue...

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
My first pair of street gloves were FTs. I liked them fine at the time except that they never stopped bleeding black dye onto my hands. Now that I've had other gloves, the FTs don't feel so great anymore, kinda bulky and not enough feel.

I'd say to go with whatever feels best. For the price, the FTs are probably going to proveide you lots of protection, which is most important. If you have the dosh, saving $40 or $50 might not be the best long term investment if the Dainese are a lot more comfortable on your hands.

Not that you asked, but my favorite gloves over the last couple of years have been Teknics, mostly because of the kangaroo palms. I really like the Speedstars... Crash tested, Fillmore approved. ;D I'm currently riding with the Violators. I think the Speedstars might be a scosh more comfortable, but I like the Violators better than any of the other brands that I've tried. They have an excellent retention system and can be had from Kneedraggers for $85, so they're right in there with what you're looking at. (For about a year Newenough had them for $40 but I don't see them anymore. That was one of my best gear deals...)

--Fillmore

·
Registered
849 Posts
A buddy crashed in a Frank Thomas suit and the stitching of the stretch panel in the back came undone big time. It wasn't a DiSalvo-style highside either. Just an easy, mellow lowside.

Wish I'd saved the pictures he sent me. I don't trust Frank Thomas after seeing them.

-R.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Terrible_viking...thanks for the info...that's just wat I was looking for...Looks like I'm goin with the Dainese...quality over price :D

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I'd go with the Dainese. I had a FT jacket a few years back and wore it for a week before the stitching came apart on a few different zippers. I've have the dainese jacke and pants and they are comfortable and well built.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I have a frank thomas jacket and gloves. I don't have very much time on them yet. I wanted something mid-range price wise. I liked the features the jacket had versus others in it's price range.

Do they sell them in the U.S.?

mitt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts