Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Frame strengthening?? 05 S2R800

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  greenmonster 
#1 ·
hey guys. ive been a member for some time now, but due to an accident in sep my bike got f-ed up pretty good and ive been on my corvette forum instead of this one, but since im gonna be fixing this thing soon i wanted to ask about frame strengthening... i saw on the featured bike this month that he did a frame strengthening... ???

what is that?? i did a search and didnt come up with anything, i have to get my frame straightned cuz it got bent a bit where the seat goes..

also.. im due to take the whole thing appart, now im no mechanic but im not too shaby with tools being a gear head and all.. should i pay $800 bucks for someone to take it appart and put it back together for me or do you think i can do it myself??

any comments appreciated..
THanx
-Jonny

#2 ·
I only know of one way to strengthen a frame, cryogenic freezing. I am not kidding, I read online that people strengthen tools that way, http://www.worldpath.net/~hisaim/index_files/Page807.htm Haven't found anything about motorcycle frames, but I am sure it has been done. Just a thought. S...

Also: http://www.onecryo.com/onecryo/pressreleases-Hooters1.htm Wow, even gun barrels!!!

But here is an article that describes a Honda Magna frame strengthening process. http://users.metro2000.net/~cdc/mag...s/frame strengthening/frame strengthening.htm

#3 ·
I think what the OP was referring to was the addition of tubes in the steering head area on the featured Monster. I think the purpose of the modification was to add the two tubes that were removed from the old style 851/Monster frame when they put a carbed 2V motor in the frame originally designed for the FI 851.

To the OP, you have an ST style frame. It is different from the earlier frame and I honestly don't know if there would be any benefit from this mod. If you did it you would have to switch to pod filters and lose the airbox.

#4 ·
Johny, Ducpainter above got it in 1.

My bike is (the featured red one) is the older model monster, yours is based on a later model (ST) frame.
I followed advise from another DML'r who used the 851/888 frame as a basis. You won't benifit from it, and to be honest I can barely feel any difference... - Chris

ps, I need to put it on a track and really get it singing to notice.

#5 ·
The newer frames are stiff as hell (and heavy), but gussetting around the head tube always helps. The main forces are at the bottom, so run from there. I can send you pics of a couple I've modded if that'll help. R&R on the frame won't be that tough. Take notes, use tape and/or pics, & write back here if/when you get stuck. Beer helps.

#7 ·
Thanks. I also did one with 2 extra 1/2" tubes coming out each side like the Jananese flag. On my own frames, I add a xcross bar behind the head tube & then center to center with the head tube. The more you add, the better, it's not an area where you can be too stiff, but you still have to be able to get in with a welder & a paint gun, something I frequently fail to consider when I design.

#8 ·
Norm said:
Thanks. I also did one with 2 extra 1/2" tubes coming out each side like the Jananese flag. On my own frames, I add a xcross bar behind the head tube & then center to center with the head tube. The more you add, the better, it's not an area where you can be too stiff, but you still have to be able to get in with a welder & a paint gun, something I frequently fail to consider when I design.
Painting stock frames is not a fun thing never mind one with added gussets.

#9 ·
ducpainter said:
Painting stock frames is not a fun thing never mind one with added gussets.
Yup!, I did the stripping and prepping on mine by hand, should have had the thing bead blasted instead, but i was trying to work to a budget... nothing's cheaper than your own elbow grease. - Chris

#11 ·
Here`s how Corse did it on 888/old frame:

Also check Tobbe Sjöbergs Featured Monster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.