Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you of you with sliders had a crash, and if so how did the sliders help? I'm just planning for the next crash :-D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Secondhand info from a guy that's had the results brought to him for repair.

The sliders that use the engine mount on the Monsters provide a seesaw fulcrum that can allow the bike to pivot up and cause more damage than they prevent. They also let the bike proceed on down the road a long way without you.

As I said, secondhand.

-Don

·
Registered
216 Posts
Interesting...I was also thinking about putting frame sliders on when I get my bike...thought they would help out alot if I ever I went down (*knock on wood*). Let see what everyone else has to say about these things...

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I have sliders, and unfortunately have tested them.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I was considerding frame sliders early on for my bike. I heard one opinion that turned me off to the idea. This guy made two points:

1. Frame sliders were originally designed to attach directly to the frames of certain Japanese bikes. They were then adapted to work on other bikes. The way that they were made to work with Monters is to attach at a motor mount point. Any energy absorbed in an accident, or simple drop, would thus be transferred into the motor by the frame slider potentially causing internal damage.

2. Same as D. mentioned above. The frame sliders "provide a seesaw fulcrum that can allow the bike to pivot up and cause more damage than they prevent."

S

·
0 Posts
i've gotta disagree here.
cyclecat frame sliders (no experience thus far with any other brand) definately helped minimize damage in the two lowsides and one highside i've put my s4 through. heck... at the very least, they saved the tank during the lowsides.

·
Registered
403 Posts
jeez strati, that is a lot of drops with one bike ;D

R

·
0 Posts
yeah Ducman851 has low sided at the track with his c cats and I believe he
is glad he had them....I also like resting my knee on mine sometimes, very comfy position.
However, I do feel more engine vibration also.
From the crashes I have seen, I'll be keeping mine on.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I overcooked a corner with my c-cat frame sliders, the bike coming to a stop on it's right side, me being thrown over the bars. :eek: I snapped off the rearsets, but that was it. None of my carbon fiber was damaged AT ALL. No tank damage. I am with Strati, a believer. 8)

Regards,
Rideon

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hmm, maybe I'll get some after all.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i've gotta disagree here.
cyclecat frame sliders (no experience thus far with any other brand) definately helped minimize damage in the two lowsides and one highside i've put my s4 through. heck... at the very least, they saved the tank during the lowsides.

I have to agree hear. I will be getting cyclecat frame sliders when my bike is repaired.

As for the teeter-totter fulcrum point, this does not seem possible due to weight distribution of the bike. The bike is much heavier on the bottom that on the top, so in a slide I can't see where the teeter-totter would occur. However if the bike just fell say from a car backing into it, the momentum of the top coming down could in fact create a teeter-totter situation.

D

·
0 Posts
I have the frame sliders on my S4, and I am thinking about getting the Bar sliders as well...Anybody with these? Pros/Cons? Do you really need them?

Chris

M

·
0 Posts
I chose Nichols motor mounting bolts over having frame sliders.
I like the way they lock up the motor to the chassis and remove the flex.... but they don't give you the option to afix sliders as far as I know.

If there was a slider that would work with them I would employ it........ as my last crash used my leg for frame, motor and tank protection...effective!.... but painful

M

·
0 Posts
After hearing of Strati's latest get-off (cold tires post about a month ago) my roommate and I both got Cycle Cat sliders for our monsters. If nothing else I want to avoid the nearly $2k outlay for a new tank and the sliders seem to be the best bet. The Cycle Cat sliders are nice pieces that fit perfectly. I hope I never need them! My .02: Go for it. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I chose Nichols motor mounting bolts over having frame sliders.
I like the way they lock up the motor to the chassis and remove the flex.... but they don't give you the option to afix sliders as far as I know.

If there was a slider that would work with them I would employ it........ as my last crash used my leg for frame, motor and tank protection...effective!.... but painful
The Cycle Cat slider does exactly the same thing for your front motor mount as the Nichols does. Sell the front one and replace with a Slider kit.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I overcooked a corner with my c-cat frame sliders, the bike coming to a stop on it's right side, me being thrown over the bars. :eek: I snapped off the rearsets, but that was it. None of my carbon fiber was damaged AT ALL. No tank damage. I am with Strati, a believer. 8)

Regards,
Rideon
Pretty much the same thing happened to me. The radiator on my S4R would have taken a major hit were it not for the frame sliders. As it was I only ended up with a scratched windscreen and a small tank dent..... and a really really sore shoulder.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Two weeks after I put my cc's on somebody (a spoiled kid up the street) pushed my bike over ont he kickstand side. The bike was under a cover and locked. The only damage was a tweaked left handle bar and a scraped bar end. No tank damage, no carbon fiber damage, no exhaust (carbon fiber) damage, no rear set damage. Cost me $25 for a perfect used left handle bar and bar end. The cc's have already paid for them selves in dividends.

In a crash you will get a minimum of three points of contact, possibly four if there is such thing as a teater toter. From the looks of my S4 when it was on the ground, the three points that I delt with were the bar end, the cyclcat slider and the kickstand. Other points that might contact on a low side might be the front or rear tire and the exhaust can (at least on a bike with low mount exhausts.

Anyone had a lowside with cyclecats and had tank damage?
(anything goes on a high side)

Borg Girl

1 - 19 of 19 Posts