Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
So do the ones on regular "sportbikes" work differently or not work as well? They are normally $50 or less

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
the ones for sportbikes i think are differently designed - the $50 is for the nylon sliders. i didn't have a sportbike with a slider so i can't tell you for sure. i think there're already hard-points welded into the frame for them.

the monster has an attachment system that's part of the frame. the integrity of a welded-on point is probably not as strong as one that's part of the design.

S

·
0 Posts
hey jack, thanks for the note. my spill was actually way back last september (holy crap it's been almost a YEAR!)... i was bruised but totally fine thanks to proper gear.

as for why c'cat sliders are so much more expensive than typical slider kits, this is right off their site's FAQ:

""""""""
Q: Sliders for Japanese bikes cost $50. Why do your sliders for Ducatis cost $155?

A: If the slider is mounted to a part of the motorcycle which is very strong laterally, such as the frame element of a twin-spar frame system, slider system design becomes relatively simple and inexpensive. It is, in such a case, relatively difficult to transfer enough energy to the frame to damage it. The Ducati trellis frame is another matter. It is inherently very weak laterally, meaning side impact can easily damage it. Thus, the design and manufacture of a slider for Ducati motorcycles is more complex. The slider system design should include a reservation point, at which it will intentionally fail, rather than transmit excessive energy to the frame, resulting in frame damage. Cycle Cat's IMS design incorporates four CNC machined components, which work together in an effort to meet all of the requirements for a slider for Ducatis.""""""""

21 - 24 of 24 Posts