Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all!
So Who has them? which ones you got? And, how do you like them?

I'm ready to put a set on my S4... just in case :eek:

After riding with a Doc Wongs group last weekend and seeing two riders go down on their right side (a duc ss 900 going to hot into a goat path corner and a kawa front wheel sliding out on gravel, I was riding sweep! Nobody seriously hurt) I figure a frame slider set is a good investment!

Borg Girl

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Cycle Cat, Cycle Cat, Cycle Cat !!!

And I have crash tested these with an 80 MPH Highside on the track. They prevented any MAJOR damage to the tank and frame and I was able to put the bike back on the track l;ater that day.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Strati has CycleCats on his S4 and "tested" them (twice, I believe).

He's the CycleCat poster child for frame sliders.

M

·
0 Posts
do cyclecats break-away?

I heard that fixed sliders can end up tweaking the frame out of true on a down....not that cartwheeling a bike at 120 mph wouldn't tend to do the same thing......

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'll second everyone on the Cycle-Cat recomendation, I have their frame sliders and bar-end sliders myself.

According to CycleCat they engine bolt they send you that the sliders attach to will bend before tweaking the frame. I haven't tested this theory, but it makes sense to me...

-Jordan

M

·
0 Posts
The slider is designed to break off before it does any damage to the frame.

We've been selling the Cycle Cat frame sliders for about 3 years with only one complaint...and that guy drops his bike as often as some people put gas in theirs...he said it broke off too early and allowed damge to his CF clutch covered clutch. We think it probably saved his frame but we gave him his money back so he could buy some outriggers...

Most other customers end up ordering spare pieces for the sliders and are very happy that that is all they have to fix.

If you ride agressively, it's not a bad idea to use rear sets with solid pegs, handle bar end sliders, billet crank end cover, billet clutch covers and the frame sliders. On water cooled bikes we use the water pump cover as well.

Regards,
martin
motowheels

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
We've been selling the Cycle Cat frame sliders for about 3 years with only one complaint...and that guy drops his bike as often as some people put gas in theirs...he said it broke off too early and allowed damge to his CF clutch covered clutch. We think it probably saved his frame but we gave him his money back so he could buy some outriggers...
Was that Fillmore??
;D

S

·
0 Posts
as mentioned, yep... i've got 'em on my s4. lowside at about 35 mph. the deralin slider did well. same day (at NHIS track), i highsided at about 80-85 mph (woo hoo! airtime lemme tell ya!). deralin slider got MASHED but again... did its job and did it well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been on the fence about 'em too. The pro's are obvious, the con's I've heard are that sliders have a tendency to catch once the bike meets the dirt and causes the bike to barrel roll.
I don't have any experience with that but it does make sense. Anybody here care to comment on that? Is it a worthy con?

S

·
0 Posts
heyya jack,
the low-side was at turn 3, approaching the "WALL". i accept full responsibility for that goof. i was concentrating on my line to blast up the hill and just didn't get my butt off the seat enough for the turn. bike leaned too much, touched down the header, and it levered the tail right up. "whoops!". that was actually my first ever get-off and thought "that wasn't too bad".
the high-side was turn 1, right at the end of the front straight. i was braking for my entry and some baffoon on a 996 somehow couldn't pass me on the straight so he tried to pass me enterring the corner. okay, this is fine, but he tried passing from the outside and was going for a much earlier apex than myself. result? he stuffed me. his rear tire actually hooked up with my front tire. result? his tail end "hopped" a bit and he kept going. my front end LEPT into the air and i got flung off the bike like a wet booger. at 80+ i was thinking "great, my bike's F*CKED!"...

as for am i riding again? well... i HAVE ridden since, but not on my own bike. rebuild of way too much stuff's almost finally done. got my headers back from my bro (welding) and i should be getting my new one-off cans back from him as well (more welding). along with the other crap i've been putting on this s4, the exhaust system will be a mix 'n match 45-50-52mm system made from an st4 header, some 50mm mandrel bends, and reworked 996 cans. nope, they won't be under the seat. they won't even be high-pipes this time. pics/blah to follow soon.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay! I ordered a set of CycleCat DS9's Now all I need is a rear stand!

Borg Girl

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Where is the best place to get frame sliders? Price wise.

I hate the way they look but I guess it's worth it...

·
Registered
134 Posts
heyya jack,
the low-side was at turn 3, approaching the "WALL". i accept full responsibility for that goof. i was concentrating on my line to blast up the hill and just didn't get my butt off the seat enough for the turn. bike leaned too much, touched down the header, and it levered the tail right up. "whoops!". that was actually my first ever get-off and thought "that wasn't too bad".
the high-side was turn 1, right at the end of the front straight. i was braking for my entry and some baffoon on a 996 somehow couldn't pass me on the straight so he tried to pass me enterring the corner. okay, this is fine, but he tried passing from the outside and was going for a much earlier apex than myself. result? he stuffed me. his rear tire actually hooked up with my front tire. result? his tail end "hopped" a bit and he kept going. my front end LEPT into the air and i got flung off the bike like a wet booger. at 80+ i was thinking "great, my bike's F*CKED!"...

as for am i riding again? well... i HAVE ridden since, but not on my own bike. rebuild of way too much stuff's almost finally done. got my headers back from my bro (welding) and i should be getting my new one-off cans back from him as well (more welding). along with the other crap i've been putting on this s4, the exhaust system will be a mix 'n match 45-50-52mm system made from an st4 header, some 50mm mandrel bends, and reworked 996 cans. nope, they won't be under the seat. they won't even be high-pipes this time. pics/blah to follow soon.
Yeah, know what you mean about turn 3. I chickened out of alot of lean angles on my S4 at the track; alway's worried about levering... Damn shame about your turn 1 incident, what kind of kook passes on outside at the fastest corner, then cuts inside..while at a track day?!

Anyway, good luck with your project. I'd say your paying good homage to the Monster image...will be nice.

R

·
0 Posts
Strati, I did know now about your get off, glad to hear you are okay.....when did that happen anyways?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up ordering mine from motowheels. All the ones that I checked were the same price, $155 plus shipping plus tax :-/ and I didn't want to waste a whole lot more time looking. I just didn't find any deals...

Borg Girl

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
This is probably a dumb question but why are they SOOO much more than sliders for other bikes??

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
the attachment bolt is actually 1 bolt that goes through the frame - replaces the engine mounting bolt.

if you just stuck a screw-on attachment onto the bike frame, it will probaby break before the frame slider can actually do its job - thereby causing the same damage that you're trying to avoid in a crash.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts