Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home today and after parking in the garage, I found out my right frame slider had gone missing. Never dropped the bike or anything. Now my question is, this pole that goes through it seems to hold the engine up. Am I ok to ride around without this pole for awhile until I purchase a new frame slider or is my bike gonna fall apart in the middle of the road? Help :mad:

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
DO NOT RIDE WITHOUT THAT BOLT!!!

DO NOT RIDE WITHOUT THAT BOLT!!!

And get a carjack or something under your engine to support it, pronto.

What you pulled out is one of your engine bolts. Don't even ride if you stick that bolt back in, but don't have a nut on the end of it.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
BTW, do you have your stock engine bolt? You can use that until you get a replacement nut and frame slider. If not, I bet one of the SoCal'ers has an engine bolt lying around you can use in the meanwhile. Hell, I may even have one I can send ya.

But don't ride that bike until you have one.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it. That's what I was suspecting. I guess I'll wait until I get it reinstalled. Thanks for the warning. First mishap with the bike. I'll see if Cyclecat has some type of warranty or replacements on this today.

I bought this bike used from Spectrum Ducati in CA. Came with the slider and no stock engine bolts. I was thinking Cycle cat might have manufactured their pole differently than stock so I can't re-use the stock engine ones.

Thanks for the warning Spidey! I'll see if I can find one tomorrow =(

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Where in Socal Are you? I think I have a spare bolt in a box somewhere.

Those are Cyclecat Sliders and you can get replacment parts from Chris at Ca-Cycleworks.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ducman851 said:
Where in Socal Are you? I think I have a spare bolt in a box somewhere.

Those are Cyclecat Sliders and you can get replacment parts from Chris at Ca-Cycleworks.
I'm around Pomona / City of Industry. I already emailed Cyclecat to see what parts I needed. I'll probably buy the whole slider again just for peace of mind instead of just parts :-[

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
yup, what spidey said, and if you haven't done so already, GO PUT SOME SUPPORT UNDER THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE!!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I have a spare set of cycle cat sliders since I switched to speedy moto. If you want to come down to san diego you can have them for $50.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
silentbob said:
I have a spare set of cycle cat sliders since I switched to speedy moto. If you want to come down to san diego you can have them for $50.
Thanks for the great offer. I'm running off to SoCal Triumph right now to pick up a crappy set first so I can ride. Waiting for CycleCat to get me my items. This forum is really helpful [thumbsup]

·
Registered
286 Posts
silentbob said:
i would be interested in those, do i need that bolt or can i use the one i already have.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
What`s the brand of the broken bolt? :eek:

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
greenmonster said:
What`s the brand of the broken bolt? :eek:
The bolt is not broken. It looks like the nut and slider fell off more than likely due to improper tightening.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Great! And I didn`t check the pics good enough... :embarassed:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ducpainter said:
The bolt is not broken. It looks like the nut and slider fell off more than likely due to improper tightening.
Yeah I think it's most likely due to improper tightening. Anyways, got myself a set of Speedy Motos yesterday and did them to 18ft/lb. These sliders seems much smaller than the cyclecats though. I'll take some pics later to show comparison.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Vicynax said:
Yeah I think it's most likely due to improper tightening. Anyways, got myself a set of Speedy Motos yesterday and did them to 18ft/lb. These sliders seems much smaller than the cyclecats though. I'll take some pics later to show comparison.
wow, is that all the speedymoto bolts call for or is that just the puck? nichols motor mount bolts require 45-50 ftlbs...

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
nichols motor mount bolts require 45-50 ftlbs...
+ medium Blue Loctite.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hiero said:
wow, is that all the speedymoto bolts call for or is that just the puck? nichols motor mount bolts require 45-50 ftlbs...
Opps, yeah.. It's 38.5 for motor bolt and 18.5 for puck bolt.

Also, anyone had crash experience with Speedy Moto? The puck is about 1 whole inch shorter than Cyclecat. I would think that would put about an extra 3-4 inch dent into the tank if it did go over? Looks better, but feels like it's not designed to really protect better.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
This is a great website. From what I just saw, it took Spidey 8 minutes to give you the right advice.

Thumbs up to Spidey.

·
Registered
322 Posts
that is not the first time i have seen a frame slider come off a monster. the one i saw was dealer installed! we were at a track day and i noticed a long bolt in turn one and thought, "hmmm, i don't remember seeing that on any other laps." after my session i noticed a fellow monster rider without a right side frame slider and missing his engine bolt. "that's what that was," he said. the track day ended sooner for him than he thought. YIKES!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts