Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted a steering damper but can't use the Ducamount kit as I have Rox Risers. Mounted up an Ohlins "old school " style on the fork leg and frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm guessing your in the Northern Hemisphere?
Nice work btw.
What do you think of the techspec tank grip pads?
I used them but couldn't get them to "grip" as good and as constant as Stomp grips. I found I had to keep "rubbing" the pads with clean dry hands to get some grip, kinda like basketball players cleaning the soles of their shoes with their hands. When I removed the pads I noticed it did lift off a layer of epoxy/clear from my carbon fiber tank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing your in the Northern Hemisphere?
Nice work btw.
What do you think of the techspec tank grip pads?
I used them but couldn't get them to "grip" as good and as constant as Stomp grips. I found I had to keep "rubbing" the pads with clean dry hands to get some grip, kinda like basketball players cleaning the soles of their shoes with their hands. When I removed the pads I noticed it did lift off a layer of epoxy/clear from my carbon fiber tank.
I find the Tech Spec more comfortable than Stomp Grips but not quite as effective. Stomp Grips I've had have "yellowed " out over time and cosmetically didn't look so good.

Sorry about the upside down pics. They were oriented correctly in my phone and I just selected upload.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I want to do exactly the same thing. Have been searching for ages for a clamp large enough for the fork leg.

Where did you get the bits from please. And what size Ohlins damper did you need? I have the one from the Ducabike kit that I was using until I too added the Rox Risers.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I find the Tech Spec more comfortable than Stomp Grips but not quite as effective. Stomp Grips I've had have "yellowed " out over time and cosmetically didn't look so good.
I've noticed my volcano stomp grips go yellow also, I'm trying the other more flatter style stomp grip this time. So far it seems on par with techspec's but with some longer lasting grip sensation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got the fork and frame clamps from:

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/fork-tube-clamp-mounts/standard?limit=36

I paid $83 for the two clamps shipped.

The upper fork tube diameter is 55mm before it flares. The frame tubes are 25mm. FAST has the 55mm clamp but the smallest they have is 27mm which is what I used. I made up the difference (25-27mm) with some plastic sleeves I had laying around that came with a windshield bar clamp kit. One could use all kind of things to put around the frame tube to make up the 2mm. Ohlins damper is a 150mm stroke which I think is the largest they make. I robbed it off my wife's "hangar queen" so don't know what they cost. You'll need the 150mm though if you mount in the same positions I did as there is about 5mm of piston showing with the damper body at full left/right lock. The damper piston end doesn't foul my knees as installed, I'm 6'2" and sit on the Ducati touring saddle.

The fork clamps are stout and beautifully machined. I've seen some clamps that are not quite a meaty, but not in the sizes I needed. I did stop searching though once I found these so maybe other options are out there.

Real happy with the result: not only how it looks but more importantly how it works. I don't know why this bike benefits from a damper. Maybe the long wheel base, geometry? Feels alot like a Griso 8V I used to have. Front end just more "planted" now.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The handlebar riser mount system is weak. Once installed, there is movement (flex) in the post that attaches to the frame at the key position. I've never been happy with it, but it works.

Ah okay. That makes sense. I've been reading about that in other threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wallycycle... Thanks for the post man that is a sweet setup! I've been looking for options for a stabalizer that's not on the bars.

·
Registered
313 Posts
How about this stabilizer with the frame setup?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261835595184?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I guess if it locks up you're kinda screwed though...although the Ohlins one is probably made in China by now too.

I would not trust a bobo brand for something like that. The whole point of the damper is to save your ass but How can you trust some random brand with no reputation. Not saying that a Ohlins damper can never fail but it's more trustworthy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would not trust a bobo brand for something like that. The whole point of the damper is to save your ass but How can you trust some random brand with no reputation. Not saying that a Ohlins damper can never fail but it's more trustworthy.

Hehe...bobo brand:grin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts