Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uhhh, I guess you can call it paranoia, but my husband got to thinking about the tail chop and wondered if the part of the frame we cut off had a purpose of holding the frame together?? He had night mares that the bike literally fell in half cause we cut off the support piece??? :'(
He drives truck all day, to much time to spend thinking up wierd stuff!! ;D

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
It's all good, Deb.
That part of the frame was only there to hold the parts you removed, some of which you remounted.

Keep an eye on your taillight bulb, some folks have had problems with short bulb life, and it seemed more folks with tail chops had problems than those who hadn't chopped. But it wasn't a 100% thing. Good thing to check before you ride in any case...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nick, will do!! For the last 2 days when I pulled in the driveway from work, my husband has come out of the house saying, " yep, all the lights are still working" and today I guess he was checking that the frame was still together!!! ;D

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Literally hundreds of people in this group have chopped their tails, if somebody's bike fell apart we woulda heard about it.
Oh, wait unless they died. [smiley=cheeky.gif]

My bike is having it's grab rails chopped off as we speak (havent decided on the tail)

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I told him, for as many that have done it, theres been no reports to that effect! ;D

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I went through 2 taillight bulbs the first week after the chop. The added vibration from having the tallight assembly mounted to a metal bracket instead of the stock plastic one seemed to rattle the bulbs apart. Replace it with an LED and you won't even have to think abut it again...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mines chopped and I have experienced bulbs blowing periodically...but it's been awhile(knock on wood)!

S

·
0 Posts
Mines chopped and I have experienced bulbs blowing periodically...but it's been awhile(knock on wood)!

is your tail-light HARD mounted to the frame? if so, i'd suggest stuffing a couple of rubber bushes between the light housing and whatever brackettry it's secured to. absorb the vibes (it's a twin afterall!) and save the bulbs.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah we have some rubber mounting around the brake light, so far no bulb blow out.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
The added vibration from having the tallight assembly mounted to a metal bracket instead of the stock plastic one seemed to rattle the bulbs apart.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Interesting. I've never heard anything of the weight issue.

I'm running an LED 1157 replacement myself. I haven't pulled the lens since installing it since IT WORKS.

I'll have to take a peek.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
the purpose of the longer frame to make the tail on the monster is to absorb engine vibration (you'll notice a difference if you're sitting on a similar bike (OEM monster vs. OEM cut-tail monster).). Seat and handlebars feel more buzzy.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
my frame's never been choped
<----
and I blew bulbs (tail light) on a regular basis till I started using another brand. now it just happens occasionally! :-/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts