Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor is a Virginia state trooper who said he pulled over a guy a while back that had a frame mounted speedo. The handlebar area was completely void of anything. His speedo was mounted in a way that he had to look down between his legs to see his speed. Forgive me if this has already been posted but has anyone seen this before? If so can you post pics?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This was on a Monster?? Forgive me for threadcrapping, but that sounds like something a cruiser guy might do. In other words, a silly and bad idea.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I'm pretty familiar with Virginia law and I'm not aware of any statute which would make relocation of the speedometer illegal.

I just checked the Virginia revised statutes and there is nothing there. I also checked 19VAC25-70-330 to 420 and didn't see anything there, either. (That's the part of the code covering vehicle equipment, inspections, etc. for motorcycles).

The only thing I could find was the following:

§ 46.2-1080. Speedometer in good working order.
It shall be unlawful for any person to possess with intent to sell or offer for sale, either separately or as a part of the equipment of a motor vehicle, or to use or have as a part of the equipment of a motor vehicle, or to use or have as equipment on a motor vehicle operated on a highway any speedometer which is not in good working order.
(Code 1950, § 46-311; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-308; 1960, c. 125; 1968, c. 172; 1970, c. 26; 1984, c. 426; 1989, c. 727.)

If I'm missing something, please let me know.

Edit: My bad. I thought you were saying he was pulled over because of his frame-mounted speedo. My mistake.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Yeah, I jumped the gun on that one.

I haven't seen it, but it sounds cool. I'd love to clean up the handle bar area. Although in my case, I don't think I'd move the speedo (too many wires to deal with.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts