Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bargain hunting for a bike to do mods on & found this damaged bike that says the frame may be tucked. Does this mean that it may have been bent?

If so is it something that could be repaired or is it something to stay away from?

DESCRIPTION
2002 DUCATI m900s4 monster s4, rebuildable, with very light road rash. the frame may be tucked but we have no way to tell for sure as the other 3 monsters we measured all had different specs from each other.
Year 2002
• Make DUCATI
• Model m900s4 monster s4
• Price $4,198.00

·
Registered
665 Posts
perhaps the word was meant to start with an F.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The m900S4, is the original model name. As far as, the "tucked" sounds like the steering head may be bent inward (forks and wheel bent towards the motor).

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MonsterMan said:
The m900S4, is the original model name. As far as, the "tucked" sounds like the steering head may be bent inward (forks and wheel bent towards the motor).
ok
would a bent frame be no good or is it fixable?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If it's been damaged the way you describe, it usually tears away from the top tubes as well - very noticable. Fixing this kind of damage requires cutting off the head tube & rewelding it. If they can't tell if it measures differently than others they checked, it's probably fine.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
tucked is what Buffalo Bill did in Silence of the Lambs

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Norm said:
If it's been damaged the way you describe, it usually tears away from the top tubes as well - very noticable. Fixing this kind of damage requires cutting off the head tube & rewelding it. If they can't tell if it measures differently than others they checked, it's probably fine.
Thanks, just for my piece of mind do you know how much a new or used frame might be? I would like to get this bike and do some mods on, but I'm afraid to get stuck with a purchase I will regret later.

Description they have:
2002 DUCATI m900s4 monster s4, rebuildable, with very light road rash. the frame may be tucked but we have no way to tell for sure as the other 3 monsters we measured all had different specs from each other. thats the italians for you. sweet v-twin growl, the superbike four valve motor in a feather light standard frame. natty carbon bits here and there. very presentable if you rode it as is. runs and drives well.

I went to their website and got pictures of it now. Is there any way to tell from these photos?

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
for $4200 as it sits and if those pics are of the actual bike as it sits right now...I'd jump on it if I were you....doesn't look bad at all!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You're going to have to measure it with a laser or string to tell for sure, but if you like it, get it. It seems like a small risk. I don't know what an OEM frame costs, but you can have it repaired (if neccessary) for about $500 or buy an aftermarket frame for about $2000.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I don't have a water cooled bike, so I have no way to tell, but the forks and fender look VERY close to the radiator.

I'd be careful, it may be a steal, but it may be a money pit.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Norm said:
You're going to have to measure it with a laser or string to tell for sure, but if you like it, get it. It seems like a small risk. I don't know what an OEM frame costs, but you can have it repaired (if neccessary) for about $500 or buy an aftermarket frame for about $2000.
Thanks, I was not aware of this. Do you know what type of places would repair the frame for $500?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Yeah I'd steer clear of that bike. There's lots better deals out there.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
Thanks, I was not aware of this. Do you know what type of places would repair the frame for $500?

Thanks!
I don't know about the $500 bucks part....but check GMD Computrack....they have a great reputation for frame repair and alignment....and the advantage of a frame repair over a new frame is you retain the VIN stamping without a problem!

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
zooom said:
I don't know about the $500 bucks part....but check GMD Computrack....they have a great reputation for frame repair and alignment....and the advantage of a frame repair over a new frame is you retain the VIN stamping without a problem!
Wow, thanks a lot. I'm always amazed on how much knowledge there is here. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I second mother & chchadder.
just from looking at the pics it has def. hit something with the front wheel. The headtube on the frame looks pretty tweaked to me. Who knows what abuse the rest of the front end took. Fork tubes & tripples could be messed up too. :p

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I don't have any experience with them, but The Frame Man out west & GMD both have good reputations. Forks usually bend before the frame does, they are easily checked on the bike with a dial idicator with a magnetic base. If the forks aren't bent, and the wheel isn't bent, I doubt if the frame is bent.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If I do go the replacement route, does anyone know if the frame is same as the M620 frame?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.