Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a crazy question but.... I'll ask it anyway. Being a bicycle racer (on a Colnago of course www.colnago.com) as well as a Ducati rider, I was wondering if anyone has heard of someone or someplace having built a frame out of a different material like Titanium, Scandium, or some kind of material other than steel. I can tell you guys from having owned a titanium bicycle that the ride qualities it offers are outstanding. It never rusts, and will last indefinitely. The cost for 3Al/2.5Vtube stock is much cheaper than in years past due to it's rise in popularity, but I know that the tricky part is with the welding. This must be done in an Argon environment if my memory is not crazy... I would imagine that carbon could be built strong enough to withstand the forces it would encounter as a motorcycle, but the cost would be huge I would imagine... What do you guys think?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm. I just did a search and see that this was discussed a little already. Sorry for the redundancy.

G

·
i'm not sure what the other thread covered, but i'll chime in a bit... i've seen titanium frames and carbon fiber frames for the superbikes (pre-749/999) but never seen any for the monster lineup. frankly, i doubt there would be one in existance aside from a custom bit by a very passionate owner!
why? well as snazzy as they are, they're very expensive. justifiable for a sponsored race team, and you won't find a sponsored race team running a monster if a superbike's available. that's my take on it anyways.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
and how much wieght will besaved. The frame is already like only 11lbs isn't it?? so if you save maybe 4 lbs at a cost of several thousand dollars, is it worth it? That would pretty much be a total 944 kit plus ecm and tuning, and a SSS.

G

·
I inquired with Calfee bicycles about building a carbon lugged ducati frame. They said they could do it but won't for the time being.

That being said there custom bicycle frames fun 2-3k so a ducati frame would be $$$$. there would be some weight savings but the real attraction would be the beauty of the frame.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those Calfees www.calfeedesign.comare really nice. Greg Lemond won the Tour De France on one in 1990 and in 1989. Their lugging process is really something to see in person. Could you imagine what a Calfee produced monster frame would look like with that webbing type lugged look? Hmm... Much cleaner and pretty than the Treks and so on. True, going Ti for a monster frame won't save much in the weight department but the ride will be completely different. Ti tends to flex a bit more, and absorbs road vibrations much better than steel. Still, I'd bet that the cost would far outweigh the benefits but still you have to wonder sometimes... Why not? There's probably some crazed person out there who has tried it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I am building a carbon framed SBK and I expect my titanium custom frame to come in next week. A stock frame weighs about 23lbs on a SBK and another 6 for the aluminum sub frame. My carbon frame weighs 17lbs including the sub frame. My goal for the finished bike is to weigh around 340lbs with around 125hp. My 966 GP Due weighed 308lbs last year hope to have it around 300lbs this year with a titanium frame and some other mods the titanium frame will only save about 2lbs over the CrMo frame I had last year. I mostly did it to change the seating position a little lower.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

G

·
Amazing work, are you laying up the carbon yourself? And where is your shop located I would love to see this stuff in person.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sounds really cool...but wat's the damage to the wallet to do something like that? Looks like you are saving alot by doing most of the work by yourself...but how much does it cost to get the Ti frame by itself? Any info would be cool! Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I used to design & build high end racing bicycles & my favorite materials was always some kind of steel. Titanuim can be a great material for bicycles, but the dynamics of the suspension & HP of a bicycle are WAAY different on a motorcycle. I believe (with no experience) that titanuim would tend to "wind" up in motorcycle use. Carbon, of course, can be designed with any amount of flex or stiffness desired, so it's use would be superb, as long as it is properly engineed & constructed. For me, I am most comfortable & understand steel better than other materials & maintain that a steel frame can be lighter, with all the varying strength and/or flex characteristics necessary & still be as light or lighter than other materials.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I didn't make the carbon frame it is made by Carbo Tech from Austria. The carbon frame is like five times as stiff as steel and weights 2/3 as much, is it too stiff maybe. There is no way anybody can get a better stiffness to weight ratio with steel. Does it cost too much yes absolutely it is ridicules. But it is more a mater of time then anything till carbon frames become much more common. The titanium frame is being made by a friend of mine. We redesigned some stuff from the CrMo frame to make it stiffer because if it was built exactly as the steel frame it would be less stiff. I will post some pictures as soon as I get them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts