Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there

Did a 5000k oil change on my 05 620 yesterday and found some cracks on the engine casing where the motor mounts onto the frame :'(. The bike is still under warranty until Nov 2007. Do you think they will cover this and if so what would need to be replaced?

Has anyone had this before?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
That blows. At least you noticed it before the warranty expired.

I would think that would be covered. You will have to confirm with a dealer.

Both engine cases need to be replaced or welded.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I've seen more case cracks than I'd like to, and I haven't been in the mafia that long.

Get it to the dealer and be real nice, then firm if needed.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
What would cause this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s what I’d like to know! Spoke to my dealer this morning and he said that it is covered by warranty :) and that he has seen quite a few with the same problem. They have to change the casings and then engrave the engine number to match my old number. I have to wait 5 to 6 weeks for the parts to arrive :-\ but he assured me that I can still use the bike while I wait provided the mounting bolts are still intact and tight ;D.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If the motor mounts are not tight , checked at services. the motor will move in the frame enough to crack cases and if left long enough sometimes frames.
Also some monsters just don't like taking double jumps ::)
cheers

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
also some frame slider set-ups will lead to this if not torqued to yield when they are "put to the test" as it were!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
That sucks, but thank God for warranties. That kind of thing is one of the things stopping me from going too far with mods until the warranty is up.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
ducvet said:
If the motor mounts are not tight , checked at services. the motor will move in the frame enough to crack cases
I'm guessing here, but would it not also be from over-tightening as well.

ducvet said:
Also some monsters just don't like taking double jumps ::)
And how do you know that!? :eek:

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
IMO, those cases cracked because the rear motor mount bolt was loose.

The motor mount bolt isn't strong enough to crack the cases from overtightening.

I've seen cases broken from crashes.

The rear area of the cases on older monsters do occasionally crack in a different way, I've seen a couple of those here on the DML.
On those, it's a weak area in the cases.
That area has been beefed up on later bikes.

Frankly, *I* wouldn't ride the bike with it cracked like that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
running outside to check my bike! :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You were spot on Speeddog! Went to have another look after work yesterday and found that the mounting bolt was in fact slightly loose, when i say slightly i could turn the nut about 3 quarters of a turn to get it tight without torquing it properly (not sure how loose that is). This is obviously something that was over looked on its first and only service ...I'll wait while everyone runs out to check theirs are tight ;) . Dealer obviously knows he over looked this during the service which is why he was so helpfull when i informed him of what had happened. With regards to riding it, i use it to commute around 20 km's to work and back (easy riding) so I'm sure if i take it easy and watch the cracks dont spread it should be ok. Dealer has assured me i can still ride and the cases r already on order so with the 6 weeks it'll take before the parts arrive i will probably be on it a little.

Thanks for the help so far guys, will keep u posted.

·
Banned
511 Posts
Ah ha! Sorry to rivive an old topic. I feel this one is very useful however.

For some reason this thread always stuck in my head and yesterday I decided to take a close look at my engine mounts. Sure enough. A significant crack on the engine case at the rear exhaust side mount. I have had the bike since June.

Took it to the shop after work yesterday. Hello warranty. :) They are going to replace the engine case for me on my 07 s2r800.

So just a reminder to everyone out there. Check your engine case for cracks. It sounds like a fairly common problem.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
As long as they're there, you might as well get a cool paint job on the cases, good opportunity to replace that stock crappy stock paint (which peels).

GL

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Thanks Mark3009
Checked mine ASAP, all OK...never too cold to go out and check for cracks in the shed..apart from the owner!!!
Thanks all

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Nichols recommend medium Loctite when you mount their engine bolts.
Maybe a good idea for all?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Definitely throw a torque wrench at the engine mounting bolts, at least when new and at the first service. I'm not saying loose bolts are the cause, but they can be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts