Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....
I was doing my first oil change since buying the motorcycle in May (about 4k miles) and I found this pictured below.

It appears to be a shim, but don't know from where. The bike has been absolutely trouble free.

Any suggestions?
Ruler Wood Font Circle Jewellery

· Registered
83 Posts
Hmm, kind of looks like it could be a crank shim, they are around 50mm OD x 35mm ID but I'm only guessing, is the bike running OK and shifting normally?
Have you owned the bike for long?
It could just be something that was left in the sump from assembly (it does happen!).....

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had it since May and I haven't had any problems at all...well, on rare occasions, if I'm a little light footed on the shifter, it doesn't go into 6th. I have to be just a little more deliberate and it's all good. But that's the only thing I can think of.

Like you said, one of my friends also mentioned that it could have been left in there from earlier, so it's definitely a possibility.

Also, I had purchased a bucket of spare hardware from someone on ebay, and in there I found what appears to be the part in its non-chewed up state.
Ruler Wood Tool Office ruler Font

· Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, it's a difficult one unless someone comes along that identify it for sure, there's a couple of shims on the ends of the shifter drum but they are a bit smaller (45.2mm OD).
I guess if everything is working fine just keep an eye on the magnet and oil screen for any further debris (maybe cut open the filter as well) on the next few oil changes and just be thankful you've got it out of the sump.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kinda looks like this. Cannot see how it could have gotten shredded then spit out... maybe, like been said, has been left in there?!? View attachment 230156
The large piece has a crease where it looks like it was pinched against something and squished out. That may have stretched it enough to be caught somewhere and chewed up. Obviously, I don't know for certain. Still debating whether or not to pull the engine and find out or just be happily ignorant. Unfortunately, I'm leaning towards pulling it. Ugh.

· Registered
83 Posts
The large piece has a crease where it looks like it was pinched against something and squished out. That may have stretched it enough to be caught somewhere and chewed up. Obviously, I don't know for certain. Still debating whether or not to pull the engine and find out or just be happily ignorant. Unfortunately, I'm leaning towards pulling it. Ugh.
I feel your pain...it's quite likely that even if it was left in the sump previously it could have got caught up in the internals and done the damage you see, and of course we're all just guessing as to it's origin etc.
But then there's that nagging doubt.... the 'what if' scenario.
Ultimately the only way you'll know for sure is to pull it down, maybe start with pulling the alternator cover and removing the alternator as I think @avocet might be onto the most likely source in his post above and at least that's a relatively easy job that will only cost you some time and some sealant (and possibly a cheap alternator cover puller if you don't have one).
If it's not the starter shim then maybe time for a birthday and some mods while you're at it?
Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck and please post back with the final outcome (I hate unresolved threads!! :) )

· Super Moderator
Monster 796 ABS
224 Posts
I pulled the alternator on my machine a few months back, and I think I recall a very similar washer - so my first guess would 100% be to agree that it's likely the one in the photo above.
But, I don't recall the oil channels being all that big. So I am a little doubtful that the entire washer would find it's way across to the oil drain plug.
I was working on a 2013 796, so maybe the internals are a little different on the 1000s. But just a thought - if it is a thrust washer on the alternator, how did it find it's way to the oil drain plug?

· Registered
83 Posts
I pulled the alternator on my machine a few months back, and I think I recall a very similar washer - so my first guess would 100% be to agree that it's likely the one in the photo above.
But, I don't recall the oil channels being all that big. So I am a little doubtful that the entire washer would find it's way across to the oil drain plug.
I was working on a 2013 796, so maybe the internals are a little different on the 1000s. But just a thought - if it is a thrust washer on the alternator, how did it find it's way to the oil drain plug?
It could be that a previous owner has had the alternator off and just dropped the shim without realising, or the flywheel may have come loose causing that damage as per this thread: Don't just think about it....pop that cover &amp... the damage looks uncannily similar, plus that shim (part # 061950065) at 35.5 x 48mm is definitely about the right size.

How it got to the sump is a mystery for sure...

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It could be that a previous owner has had the alternator off and just dropped the shim without realising, or the flywheel may have come loose causing that damage as per this thread: Don't just think about it....pop that cover &amp... the damage looks uncannily similar, plus that shim (part # 061950065) at 35.5 x 48mm is definitely about the right size.

How it got to the sump is a mystery for sure...
Oh wow. Now that you mention it, the previous owner did give me an alternator puller and mentioned something about having been in there... 🤔 I'll pull the left case tomorrow and give it a look; which, BTW, is was actually on the work schedule...just not this week!

I'll let you know what I find

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK. So, I got the left case off, and found the alternator rotor nut completely loose. I unscrewed it with my fingers. Don't know if that's good or not. Pulled that off and the sprag is good. Oh, and I found a piece of that washer. See the pic below.

The washer avocet showed above isn't on that shaft anywhere.

Motor vehicle Gear Automotive tire Bicycle part Engineering

· Super Moderator
Monster 796 ABS
224 Posts
Mystery solved! And I think you got very lucky - that nut is supposed to be SUPER tight. If I recall correctly it's like 270 Nm or so.

Here is what I ended up doing to torque it (I was warned not to rely on the gearbox): HELP! Grinding/whirring/buzzing noise on downshift -...

Also, be careful putting it back that you get the alignment on the flywheel right. There is a little oil passage that needs to line up to feed oil to the roller bearings.

So do you think the washer got flushed in through those two oil passages?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mystery solved! And I think you got very lucky - that nut is supposed to be SUPER tight. If I recall correctly it's like 270 Nm or so.

Here is what I ended up doing to torque it (I was warned not to rely on the gearbox): HELP! Grinding/whirring/buzzing noise on downshift -...

Also, be careful putting it back that you get the alignment on the flywheel right. There is a little oil passage that needs to line up to feed oil to the roller bearings.

So do you think the washer got flushed in through those two oil passages?
Not sure, but anything is possible with such a vibrating engine. I'm curious about how the lower parts of the case have different colors - maybe like something rubbed around down there for a long time and wore it enough to keep it clean(er)? 🤷‍♂️

Ok, so now the question is, where does the washer go? The diagram above doesn't explicitly show all the parts on the shaft, as it's missing the small gear on the very inside. If anyone knows, then LMK. I'm probably going to stop by the local Ducati dealer tomorrow after work and see about either making sure I have a correct washer or getting one, or 10...they come in packs of 10!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts