Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this is the sound I am hearing. But, just wanted to ask you guys.

Sometimes, when I get a little more than I wanted when standing the bike up, I chop the throttle quickly and let the bike drop straight down. I know to get back into the gas before it hits the ground, but sometimes I am just glad the thing came back down.

Anyway, when i come down to hard, I hear something that I first thought was the headlight banging into something. I have checked everythign up front, so now I think its gotta be the front shocks.

So, how bad is this? Am I seriously jacking up my forks?

thanks,
Chris

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
take a pair of nylon zip-ties and strap them around the upper area of the lower slider...see how far the upper tube pushes them down....

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You're flirting with blowing fork seal (if you haven't already). Remember that hand full of throttle on the way down, or do smaller wheelies, or just let it go over backwards & save thoe forks.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
;D heheh, let it go to save forks. ;D ;D

Also, doing wheelies is real hard on the steering stem bearings. You can hear loose steering stem bearings when appyling brakes sharply at walking pace. Loud clunk-clunk.

I was formerly a real wheely addict (and will probably become one again with pongo's new power...) but I didn't find that forks seals blew. Even with 10mm less air gap to aid against bottoming.

:) Chris

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
What are the zip ties going to tell you?

My forks were bottoming out and the zip tie on the left leg was almost an inch from the bottom. The forks don't compress all the way down, so unless you know where they bottom at, you won't get any useful information from a zip tie.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
If you're hearing a slight thump when you you drop down from a wheelie it's probably your front hugger hitting the tire. On my '03 M800 the plastic that the front hugger is made from is flexible enough that it hits my tire and makes a quick thumping noise. I switched to a carbon front hugger, which is much more rigid, and no problems.

Also, if you don't want to kill your front forks just wheelie until the end of your powerband. Easier said than done sometimes, and you may just wear out your front forks finding the balance point, but fun anyway. Plus if you wheelie "correctly" the front wheel should come down nice and gently when you lose power in the upper revs... :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Scott, that doesn't sound right to me... All the Showa forks I've seen will bury a zip tie "telltale" when bottomed.

might explain Scott's cattle guard "excursion"?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
MostroR,

Good point and good catch on that detail. Sounds possible that Scotts forks could either have suffered from too little air gap/hydraulic locking, or possibly coil bind if the spring was installed with too long a spacer.

When I changed the oil in my stockers (non-adj) I noticed that the slider should just hit the rubber bump cushion under the top bolt just as the dust seal is at the top of the fork leg, or a few mm above it. So anything else bottoming sounds like hydraulic or spring bind.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe Scott's incident happened right after his forks were redone.....so I am not sure if his thoughts on forks not bottoming a telltale stem from something on his stock forks......in his accident post he mentioned I believe he had been through there many times before and then this seemed to happen right after his forks were done. There could possibly be something in the rebuild that contributed to his tank slapper. I dunno, but it was the first thing I thought of when I heard he had an accident.
But I have buried my zip tie before on my stock forks for sure....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might be worth Scott's while to do an autopsy on his tubes....

and Chris?
please tell me my rebuilds I just got back from Racetech aren't from one of those so-called "well-regarded" businesses

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Kevin,

Based on the feedback I've gotten about R-T, so long as they look OK, they should be.

that was frighteningly diplomatic....<laughing> so far they seem to be making a huge difference for the better compared to the stockers I had on before....those were like the rubber legs on a shore-leave sailor

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I know what chris means...Some one used vise grips on Seans SBK fork tops when they rebuilt them. Too bad, the rest of the fork looks good. They went to all the trouble of anodizing the tubes black but couldn't use the right tool to disassemble them. I don't get it. It kind of makes you wonder what they did on the inside...

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Yeah, I've rebuilt forks where the fork cap was really stuck. I don't get why "fork houses" can't just do what I did: carefully place blue paper towel over fork cap (maybe two) then rap the socket with mallet to get it pressed onto the fork cap. And THEN use an air impact. And other little things like turning in the preload adjuster so that you don't ding it... ::) I reckon that people in a hurry - or without much wrenching experience - do not think about the possibilities or ramifications of what they're about to do. And they certainly do not envision "Better" ways of working on things. When I used to work on 20 year old P.O.S. commuter UJM bikes, I would have to work very carefully and with precision so as not to break anything unintentionally. Good practice for when I turned to higher end bikes.

From what I gather, R-T will do a good job on the inside. Most of what I hear are customer service issues. Granted, these can extend to the forks themselves, but I'll stick with: If you get them back and they seem OK, I think they're OK. I rather believe in "if you don't have SOMEthing good to say, then don't say it".

It's the company whose name starts with the 12th letter of the alphabet that I absolutely refuse to talk about. I hate even alluding to who they are...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't realize or remember who did Scott's forks.....I Race Teched my stockers right away and was throughly happy with them. Only after an oem part that DNA does not stock in the U.S.failed did I switch to SBK's.
Thanks again to Norm for sending parts.

Back to the thread....I always thought it was my brakes that were clunking on coming down?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts