Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
you may want to check out the FAQ's section, you would be suprised at the amount of information you may find. Take advantage of the time and energy that some awesome DML'rs have put into compiling info there. ;)

Upgrades, Performance & Mods: Fork Swap

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Industrial_Grrrl said:
you may want to check out the FAQ's section, you would be suprised at the amount of information you may find. Take advantage of the time and energy that some awesome DML'rs have put into compiling info there. ;)

Upgrades, Performance & Mods: Fork Swap
OMFG!??!?!!? how'd you find that?!!? ;D [cheeky]

·
Registered
505 Posts
derby said:
OMFG!??!?!!? how'd you find that?!!? ;D [cheeky]
I'm thinking that the 'search' feature may have been used. Just a guess though [cheeky]

·
Registered
16 Posts
smudge said:
I own a 06 s2r and Im thinking of a fork upgrade. What I need to know is do all the 748/749/996/998/999 or 65mm brake bikes share a common fork size?
I went through a similar transition on my 98M750 and found it much simpler to upgrade to adjustable SS forks as the triple-clamp diameters were the same and the wheel/brakes were no issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Doaner - for some reason, my IM wouldn't reply - so, here it is:
i have a 97 m750 that i recently acquired and would like to swap out the forks for some new adj ones...preferably stock. i saw in your post that you switched to forks from an SS model. Was it difficult, and was there anything else that you had to switch to get it to work? thanx and hope you don't mind that i pmed you. cheers :)
[/quote]

Not at all - I switched to a late model 900SS adjustable Showa units and the biggest change was having to purchase a different front wheel (hollow axle). This was okay, because my bike was the year of the gold frame and grey wheels - I updated the rear to match the front and the frame, also it is a 5.5" wheel to hold a 170/60-17.

Here she is:

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Hi, will 748 fully adjustable showas have a hollow axel too? I have a 1999 M750 and I belive it has a hollow axel, how can I tell? (other than the hole visible in the axel, or is it that obvious) thanks -drumonster

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Yeah, I'm gonna shim the lower clamp and get a cyclecat upper, although I read that they sell the shims with the upper if you ask them! sweet, love CycleCat these day :) -drumonster

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I upgraded my stock adjustable showas with Racetech valves and springs, I'm very happy with them.

Ditto that. I posted about RaceTech valves and springs and Wilburs Shock a few days ago. Most important thing is to have springs that match your weight. If they are too stiff, you never use the suspension, if they are too weak, you will bottom out. Dialing in the suspension is the best thing you can do to your bike.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Drumonster_Dyami said:
Yeah, I'm gonna shim the lower clamp and get a cyclecat upper, although I read that they sell the shims with the upper if you ask them! sweet, love CycleCat these day :) -drumonster
No need to ask, they come with them.....I may go a different direction w/ my forks and will have a DTC-6 in silver w/ shims for sale if I do so. I should know by the weekend.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
MonsterMax said:
I upgraded my stock adjustable showas with Racetech valves and springs, I'm very happy with them.

Ditto that. I posted about RaceTech valves and springs and Wilburs Shock a few days ago. Most important thing is to have springs that match your weight. If they are too stiff, you never use the suspension, if they are too weak, you will bottom out. Dialing in the suspension is the best thing you can do to your bike.
Yup, except the S2Rs forks are a sealed cartridge, so you can't do any valve rework. Sure you can get the spring rate right and change oil, which will help, but it's not going to turn the Marsuckies into terrific performing forks. They just need to be replaced. Ducati never should have put them on any S*R bike. For what they ask for the S2R 800 compared to all the other S*Rs, it should have at least had a cheap set of adjustable Showas on it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I concur with the cartridge on the s2r 800.The end of the cartridge is crimped so that the valving cannot be replaced on the marsuckies.You are limited to springs + oil without replacing the cartridge or fork assembly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts