Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to upgrade my forks with some adjustable gixxer ones. I believe the gixxer forks take a 310mm rotor(320mm with adapter). Any one have any suggestions on how to change the rotor on the S2R to a 320mm? Really it seems i could buy some really expensive full floating 320mm's, but is there any other way... like used Jap rotor and carriers that will fit?

Thanks,
RB
PAge two has the pic!
go here for the full story

·
Registered
890 Posts
Re: Fork Swap with Radial brakes on an S2R

interesting concept. I'll be watching this thread.. :eek:

·
Premium Member
147 Posts

RBX

GSXR rotors are 300mm. Your S2R 800 has 300mm rotors. All you have to do is space yours out 3.5mm on each side and you're good to go. [thumbsup]

You don't have to have full floating rotors to make it work.

Monster S4R, S2R 1000 and 900 models have the 320mm rotors.

This mod should be easier for you than it was for me!

terrapete

p.s. know that this mod is still not a direct swap. machining the GSXR axle and making wheel and rotor spacers is still necessary

·
Registered
2,722 Posts

Yes they are.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Terrapete, since you obviously know about this mod (i've read your other threads) can you tell us what year/model of gsxr forks will work for 05 and 06 s2r 800. What calipers should be looked for? What machining is needed for the axel and spacers for the rim?
Thanks, KP

sorry about the thread jack ;D

·
Premium Member
147 Posts

KP

Any GSXR 1000 from 2003 and newer will work as they also have the radial calipers. Do not get any 2003 forks with the gold shaft coatings though as there were problems with the coating coming off. The newer forks with the black nitrate shafts are fine.

These forks are made by KYB and of course are Japanese. I wouldn't worry too much about that as Showas are made in Japan as well and now Ohlins is owned by Yamaha!!!!

terrapete

I will post something in the mod section over the holidays.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Terrapete, thanks for the info! It makes the idea of this mod a whole lot closer to happening. Another ? Will the forks from the 600/750 work as well and will any radial calipers work or are they brand? model specific? Do you need the cylinder for the brakes?

Thanks again for the information! KP

·
Registered
47 Posts

Terrapete, I'll look for the answers in your post in mods, so no pressure. [thumbsup]

·
Banned
1,620 Posts

RBX said:
ok so does that mean any ducati 6 hole pattern will work?
Yeah, if you are keeping the Monster front wheel. I have an extra set of 320 mm 6 bolt rotors from my S4R since I switched to Brake Tech rotors. I don't know if you need 300 mm or 320 mm for your setup though. Let me know if you need them.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts

silentbob said:
Yeah, if you are keeping the Monster front wheel. I have an extra set of 320 mm 6 bolt rotors from my S4R since I switched to Brake Tech rotors. I don't know if you need 300 mm or 320 mm for your setup though. Let me know if you need them.
Actually that's not true. The 748R, 996R and 998R rotors will NOT work. As long as you stay away from those, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

darylbowden said:
Actually that's not true. The 748R, 996R and 998R rotors will NOT work. As long as you stay away from those, you'll be fine.
Also be sure that you don't snag a set of 15mm off set rotors. The bikes listed above ran the 15mm 6 bolt rotors.

320s from Any of the MOnsters with 4 piston calipers, regular 748 and 9*6 will have a 10mm offset in the rotor. With stock Monster forks those rotors will mate to either of the Brembo 4 piston calipers. Be they 2 pad or 4 pad.

RBX, dunno what you budget is for this - but theres a set of used Ohlins monster forks with Radial mounts for sale at Duc Pond in Winchester VA.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Actually the gixxer forks i bought, are radial mount AND included calipers. I also have a line on a set of 320mm rotors from an S4R. Budget.... i really am going to try to do the swap for under $500.
This budget may be blown sooner then i think.....anyone know if there would be a problem with using radial calipers with a non-radial (read: stock)master cylinder?

I also may need to switch to clip-ons as well (the new forks are longer), i was planning this mod anyhow, but didn't want it to mandatory for this swap.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts

RBX said:
I also have a line on a set of 320mm rotors from an S4R.
SO I can sell the set of rotors you inquired about? ::)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.