Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my 2017 797 to shop for 7500 mi maintenance. They said my front fork seal was leaking and would replace. It's been about 3 weeks and still waiting on part. I'm a new rider (just started in april) and still learning "advanced" mechanics. Is this an essential repair? They've done the rest of the maintenance. Would it be ok to bring the bike home and bring it back when the part comes in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since its already at the shop, I'd wait it out. The advantage is you'll get the fork oil changed as well. If you choose to do it yourself, it takes a few real tools to do a fork service, such as a front head stand or hoist, spring compressor, damper rod holder, etc. You can always rig something up, which can be fun or frustrating, depending on how much time and interest you have.

I've fixed a lot of fork seal leaks using something like the Seal Mate. It's a thin, flat, flexible piece of plastic with a smooth hook shaped on the end (a search will turn up lots of info). You conform it to the curve of the fork stanchion and slip it between the stanchion and the seal. Then carefully work it around the tube, pulling out dirt and grit from the seal. The first time I did it, I used a piece of old 35mm film negative cut to shape, though it is thinner and more brittle. The trick is to be really careful and patient. I've also cut down the Seal Mates to make them easier to fit.

r-

Tom C.

·
Registered
2006 S2R 800
57 Posts
Since its already at the shop, I'd wait it out. The advantage is you'll get the fork oil changed as well. If you choose to do it yourself, it takes a few real tools to do a fork service, such as a front head stand or hoist, spring compressor, damper rod holder, etc. You can always rig something up, which can be fun or frustrating, depending on how much time and interest you have.

I've fixed a lot of fork seal leaks using something like the Seal Mate. It's a thin, flat, flexible piece of plastic with a smooth hook shaped on the end (a search will turn up lots of info). You conform it to the curve of the fork stanchion and slip it between the stanchion and the seal. Then carefully work it around the tube, pulling out dirt and grit from the seal. The first time I did it, I used a piece of old 35mm film negative cut to shape, though it is thinner and more brittle. The trick is to be really careful and patient. I've also cut down the Seal Mates to make them easier to fit.

r-

Tom C.
Looks easy enough to cook up with a cut out piece of milk jug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.