Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know how to get (take) them off? I would take mine off as I don't really like the way they make the forks look. And if that is the only thing relfecting light before I get hit by a car or semi I'll take my chances

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
When I took mine off, I grabbed them and pulled. It didn't really require detailed instructions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well now I don't know Scott did you grab it with your left or right hand. Were you crouching tiger hidden dragon pose while pulling. I am going to need a little more to go on as far as detailed instructions. :p
smart a$$

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used two screw drivers (flat head) to get them off. one i put against the fork as a block to pry on so i would not scratch the fork, and the other one was used to pry it off with - then clean off the extra glue

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'll try the screwdriver trick...I tried the dental floss trick-didn't work-mine are b!tch.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I tried something else and it worked perfectly!...I used an adjustable wrench and put that on the reflector and made sure that I wasn't touching the fork...then I put a screwdriver in the hole in the handle to be able to increase the torque when I turned the wrench...pop and presto!...now I just need to clean up the glue.

gnew

L

·
0 Posts
I am not sure if they changed the glue compound as of 2004 but there is no way in hell that Goof-Off or a hairdryer will touch this stuff. I had to put them back on :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know the glue problem you had. It's a little time intensive but this worked: Get a small bottle of Super Glue remover. Then, soak a small piece of paper towel with it and lay it over the spot. Wait about 10 minutes then start picking at the edges with your nail. Repeat, until it's all finally gone, then use your favorite product - wax, Auto-Glym (my favorite) or other stuff to clean up the mess and shine your forks.

What ever that glue is, it's a b()tch!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took them off last night and got some of the glue stuff off. I will have to work at it more today. That glue does suck. I will try the super glue remover stuff (if I can find some). Thanks for the advice all.

H

·
0 Posts
Let me clarify to the pre-2002 monster owners, that the glue used to hold the reflectors on is different than the stuff you guys removed with WD-40 or GooGone. It's epoxy, and it's hard as hell.

Zip-Strip removes it.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Well I took them off last night and got some of the glue stuff off. I will have to work at it more today. That glue does suck. I will try the super glue remover stuff (if I can find some). Thanks for the advice all.
Super glue remover is typically acetone, which is the main ingredient in nail polish remover. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

L

·
0 Posts
Good Advice on the Stripper!!(and not the poll dancing one either)

We headed to Wal-Mart and got an aerosol foaming type and a hard plastic scrapper.

10mins later everything came right off.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
When I pulled mine (grab and twist), I too was worried about visibility.

I put some 3M reflective tape on my fender. The tape's red. The fender's red and the tape is damned near invisible in daylight. Good compromise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts