Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do for preventitive maintenece for your bike if you ride frequently in the rain? THX!

G

·
clean and lube the chain after every ride

wipe the road grime off all surfaces

cover the bike or park it under cover at all times

hang riding gear up to air dry

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
you forgot one thing.... take a nice hot shower!! Oh, you wanted to know what to do for the bike....

·
Registered
571 Posts
Having ridden mine through 2 english winters, I cannot highly recommend enough the benifits of copious application of..........

WD40

on all engine surfaces, paintwork (owned a Dark) forks, rear suspension & all wiring. Clean & lubed chain as well. Lived outside with a cover over her, always started 1st time as well.

Just remember to give it a wash down after riding with cold water.

No problems at all...and we have salt on the roads in the UK ::)

G

·
WD40 all over the bike is VERY VERY BAD IDEA.

The last thing you want to do is make a control surface slick.

Smothering your tank in WD40 is surefire way to get a slippery seat. Or slippery pegs. Or slippery grips even.

Stick to using WD40 for its intended purpose... cleaning stuff AFTER you've been riding (not before).

Did you know that riding about with WD40 actually attracts dirt and grime to whatever surface you have sprayed it with? That's why it works to CLEAN the chain... because it ATTRACTS the grime.

·
Registered
571 Posts
WD40 all over the bike is VERY VERY BAD IDEA.
Never had a problem, cleaned bike, applied WD40 & allowed it to dry out, not a problem.

When I said everything...I didn't put it on the seat or the bars, just the engine, tank, suspension components etc.

NOT on the brakes!

It's quite a common practice in England.

D

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
This has been the first Winter I have really rode everyday in the rain. I am loving it!!! Aerostich Rocks!!!! Good tyres&brakes and your good to go. There is no off season ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stick to using WD40 for its intended purpose... cleaning stuff AFTER you've been riding (not before).
It's "intended purpose" is not primarily as a cleaner.

Water Dispersant 40 (WD40) clears the water out, and keeps it out -for a while-. Spraying it in and on and around the electrics works wonders, although I generally don't bother until I am forced to due to a problem, and wipe external surfaces after.

I've never heard of putting it on the paintwork before. I would recommend regular cleaning and waxing for paintwork, and regular rinsing for the whole bike. I'd also recommend slightly more regular greasing and lubricating, but cleaning and greasing the chain every ride is a bit OTT IMHO.

·
Registered
287 Posts
not that there are "elements" here in arizona, but you may be interested in picking up a scott oiler...

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I ride 365 days a year, park outside every day, and do just about nothing, the bike runs great. I'm interested in the Scott's chain oiler mentioned though. Where could I pick something like that up...

G

·
A good way to test the effects of riding with WD-40 all over your gear is to take two old bicycle chains and clean them thoroughly.

Lube one with chain wax or chain lube according to the directions.

Soak the other with WD-40.

Drag both through mud puddles, dirt, and street surfaces.

Which one has more crud on it?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I ride 365 days a year, park outside every day, and do just about nothing, the bike runs great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts