Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize there have been quite a few threads on similar topics (and I've read them all!), but I'm still struggling with the choice between a 796 and a 1100.

I rode a 696 and have ruled that out - it was a little too flat for me (and reminded me of a BMW 650GS that I used to own which was also a little flat, and even for me seemed a little low and I'm only 5'10".

It appears I can get a brand new from the dealer '09 1100 for almost exactly the same 'out the door' price as a '10 796.

I would't go for the ABS, and am struggling to think why I wouldn't go for the 1100. I'm going to take one for a spin this afternoon, but there are no 796 demonstrators where I am.

The best reason I heard in one of the other threads was "the 1100 is pure power and a little too much for the city". Is that true? In other reviews I've read that (low rev baulkiness aside) compared to a streetfigher an 1100 is a good urban bike.

So - for those that actually went for the 796 - what made you choose it rather than the 1100? In my case it seems price is not a factor.

(I completely get the difference between the 696 and 796- single sided arm, etc)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did go for 796 and not for the 1100 because of the price difference. I had a 696 and it was to little, balcrushing, etc. The 796 sits better, looks better and has more power. Thats the diffence between 696 and a 796. A 1100 is a beast, lots of power and torque. The extra price I needed to pay for going from my 696 to a 1100 was to high for my budget, and when i did go from my 696 to a 796 they offered me a new set of termni for arround € 1.000 (normally they sell arround € 1.500) And I do wanted the termi's on my bike.
Ok thats why i got the 796 instead of the 1100
A good friend of my drives a 1100s with abs, he likes his bike a lot, but sometimes he complains about 1st and 2d gear using in a city. You can fix this problem by changing the front sprocket from 15t to 14t but the catch is that you can only change it when you don't have ABS. The ABS computer will go crazy (told by a ducati mechanic).
So if you drive a lot in city, go for the 796 and if you want a lot of power go for the 1100.

sorry for my bad english

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
1100 is $2,000 more. 796 ergonomics are slightly better. Insurance is higher on 1100. 796= smaller engine = better fuel economy.

If money was not a consideration, I'd still go for the 796 with ABS. Actually, no, strike that. If money was no object, I'd get the new Multistrada.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What are you used to riding?

I just bought a 1100S. It was actually to my surprise a 10 model and the deal I got on it was excellent since it was within a couple hundred dollars of an 09 from another dealer I had talked to. I sold a CBR1000 and only have a couple hundred miles on the 1100 but is far more comfortable and just as easy to negotiate in the city as my 1000. I personally did not consider a 796 but would feel if you are coming from something with gobs of power that an 1100 would not seem too strong. There are some great deals out there on 1100 left overs and you will get the second body work like I did or will when Ducati sends it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think it would of made a lot more sense to make the 796 the same as the 696 but with the bigger engine. I bought the 696 because the 1100 has to high of a seat height for me. At least if they kept it in the 696 chasis then the people that have to buy a little bike due to size reasons would have an option with a little more power. I see no reason to buy the 796 over an 1100 at this point other then the already mention insurance price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Price, no question about it!
In Norway the 796 ABS is approx 154 000 (23 730USD) Nok, the 1100 ABS is 188 500 Nok (29 045USD)

And I guess the 796 is the better bike for city commuting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input.

I did get a chance to ride the 1100 yesterday (actually a 1100S). It was certainly powerful enough, but didn't feel like "too much" (compared to some of the Jap in-line 4s I've ridden in the past).

I found low-speed riding OK (although I can see how the 796 would be better). Perhaps I would treat myself to a Termi system next year.

Since the price of the 796 and 1100 would be near identical because they are trying to clear their 1100 stock and I get the free logomania kit with the 1100 I think I'll give that a go. There were no 796 bikes to test-ride unfortunately.

Oh well- now to think about colour. They have a red and silver available. I'm thinking red with the Imola skin. Choices, choices, ...

I did sit on, but not ride, the Multistrata - that is a *very* nice bike! (but 50% more money, and pretty large for the city)

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's a good question. I've been wondering the same thing. The 796 does appear to have a little more of an athletic stance. (could be my imagination) Good looking bike though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For under 30 dollars you can make the ride height identical. The bracket for the rear shock on the 696 fits the 1100, and provides ALL of the rear height difference.

How short's your inseam, i've seen people 5'3 and under on much taller bikes than the 1100

I think it would of made a lot more sense to make the 796 the same as the 696 but with the bigger engine. I bought the 696 because the 1100 has to high of a seat height for me. At least if they kept it in the 696 chasis then the people that have to buy a little bike due to size reasons would have an option with a little more power. I see no reason to buy the 796 over an 1100 at this point other then the already mention insurance price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered a 796 because it will basically be my first bike. I originally was going to go with a 696, but when I realized the 796 was coming soon, with the single-sided swing arm, and basically the same power as the 696, I couldn't pass it up. I feel the 1100 would just be too much power for a beginner. Although, after riding my wife's new ninja 250 for the past week, I'm already craving for more power lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For under 30 dollars you can make the ride height identical. The bracket for the rear shock on the 696 fits the 1100, and provides ALL of the rear height difference.

How short's your inseam, i've seen people 5'3 and under on much taller bikes than the 1100
I didn't realise they had that, and neither did the dealership where I bought it because I specificaly asked them about lowering an 1100. I bought it in april of 09 though so maybe it didnt exist yet. I am 5'3 with a 29" inseam. The 696 with the lowered seat works pretty good for me but another inch would be nice at times.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I upgraded from a 695 to a 796 at my Ducati dealership, the 1100 would have cost me an extra 6000 Euros where the 796 cost me an extra 3700 Euros. For me the 796 has all the power I need plus all the handling and equipment of the 1100. I personally think the 796 is in many ways the perfect street, B road blaster that I have been looking for. You could ask, why buy an 1100 when you can get a Hayabusa for the same price ??

sf

·
Registered
30 Posts
I didn't realise they had that, and neither did the dealership where I bought it because I specificaly asked them about lowering an 1100. I bought it in april of 09 though so maybe it didnt exist yet. I am 5'3 with a 29" inseam. The 696 with the lowered seat works pretty good for me but another inch would be nice at times.

Whoever you asked may not have known about it, but that has been an option since day 1 of the 1100 being released. It existed, just maybe not to them. The height isn't customizable, since there's no ride-height adjustments on the cantilevered shocks, but by swapping that bracket to the 696 one, you get the exact height of the 696. (Likewise, 1100 bracket on a 696 raises ride-height)

You could have that bracket machined alittle smaller if needed, but you shouldn't have an issue with the height, I know someone shorter than you, with a shorter inseam who rides a KTM 690SMR, in the city, commuting daily\

You could ask, why buy an 1100 when you can get a Hayabusa for the same price ??
sf
That's not even a fair comparison, if you're options were abusa or an 1100, then you should sit down and think "why do I want a motorcycle, what type would I like"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could ask, why buy an 1100 when you can get a Hayabusa for the same price ??
:) Well - that's pretty easy for me to answer. I'll start with a dry weight of 169kg to 220kg between the 1100 and the 'Busa, then I'll go to looks, and the list continues forever.

Other than price (and as I explained I can get a new 1100 for the same price as a 796 will cost me because of the fact they are clearing the 2009 models) there isn't that much difference between the 1100 and 796.

The 1100 is 2kg heavier than the 796, the power output is not that different (95 hp v 87 hp), wet clutch v dry clutch, and adjustable front shock on the 1100.

I take the point of the 796 being marginally more 'streetable' because I'll probably be slightly higher on the rev range at a moment in time than the 1100.

Both seem like excellent bikes, and since it appears to be predominantly price that steers towards the 796 - it helps me pull the trigger.

I appreciate the input from everyone.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I can get a new 1100 for the same price as a 796 will cost me because of the fact they are clearing the 2009 models
Whether you get an 1100 or 796, you really should opt for the ABS. I don't think ABS was available on the 2009 1100. ABS is long overdue on motorcycles, and I bet you won't see any bikes available without it in five years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
First bike, 796, OK

Some things you should know if a Monster 796 is your first bike:
- After you lay it down, and need a replacement part, use this site
- If your first laydown is in a slow turn, don't grab the throttle to hold it up, hit the kill switch, or get out of the way
- Gravel is your enemy, avoid it like the plague
- Be quick with the clutch, Ducs prefer it
- Warm bike, cold road, cold tires, not good. Let your tires warm up
- Assume you are invisible everytime you ride. 16 yr olds are out there.

My first bike was a Monster 620, and was bored with it in about 3 months, so I get. Respect and enjoy it, but watch for fools.

Dan
S2R1000

·
Registered
54 Posts
:) Well - that's pretty easy for me to answer. I'll start with a dry weight of 169kg to 220kg between the 1100 and the 'Busa, then I'll go to looks, and the list continues forever.

Other than price (and as I explained I can get a new 1100 for the same price as a 796 will cost me because of the fact they are clearing the 2009 models) there isn't that much difference between the 1100 and 796.

The 1100 is 2kg heavier than the 796, the power output is not that different (95 hp v 87 hp), wet clutch v dry clutch, and adjustable front shock on the 1100.

I take the point of the 796 being marginally more 'streetable' because I'll probably be slightly higher on the rev range at a moment in time than the 1100.

Both seem like excellent bikes, and since it appears to be predominantly price that steers towards the 796 - it helps me pull the trigger.

I appreciate the input from everyone.
I have not ridden both but I would think the 1100 has a pretty noticable increase over the 796 in the power department. While the top hp numbers are not that far off there is a bigger gap in torque and torque is what gets it done ;)

I agree both are great bikes, my 696 even has enough power to keep me happy when I am actualy riding it, well most of the time. Its when I get off it and the brain gets working to much that I want more. GL with your new ride!

·
Registered
34 Posts
1100 torque

I have a question? I test rode the 696 and felt that it didn't have enough torque for my liking. I think I'm leaning towards the 1100, but was wondering is the torque over whelming or is it smooth transition of power?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The 696 engine is fairly strong but needs to be revved a bit, but it won't bite your head off, the 796 (803cc) has good bit more grunt and a wider, lazyer spread of torque and the 1100 has big grunt and enough torque to warrant a smooth right hand or pay the price.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts