Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted on another motorcycle forum I belong to.
Its is absolutely amazing to me how motorcyclist's are considered guilty even when we are the victims.

I found this on my desk this morning...
"This is for all us that ride motorcycles, whether it be Harleys or any brand, so please take time to read this. Three weeks ago, I had the opportunity to ride with the ABATE or Ohio group from Warren Co. Ohio. It was a beautiful fall day, sunny and clear, not a cloud in the sky. Aboput halfway through the ride Bob Bryant told us that he had to leave, he had a prior engagement. So we all said our goodbyes and split up. Less than an hour later, we were informed that Bob had been in a accident. A car had cut across in front of him at an intersection. Of course this put a damper on the remainder of the ride because we were concerned about Bob and his family. Less than an hour later, we were told that Bob didn't make it to the hospital, we were shocked that a good man like him was taken from us. He was the kind of man that would do anything for anyone, especially kids. Last night at the Fairfield chapter meeting of HOG(harley owners group), of which Bob was also a member, we were told that the sentecing of the girl that hit Bob was to be on the 28th of October. She is to receive 90 days (suspended) and a fine. But her parents hired two mouthpieces and they had cut a deal with the local DA, your tax dollars at work. The judge said it was all Bob's fault for riding without a helmet, and for riding a motorcycle in the first place. This is after the girl admits to being on her ear held voice activated lif support system(cell phone) and cutting in front of Bob. Now if you ask me, this smacks of prejudice. So the HOG group is going to be there for the sentencing, we are going to ride up to be a public but silent protest of this miscarriage of justice. Now here comes the part that chaps my ass. The girls mom was interviewed and made some remarks to the effect, that her daughter was such a sweet young thing and should be given every second chance she could get because, "All bikers are nothing but druggies anyway...". Now what gives this woman the right to generalize and make these statements about people she doesn't even know? Let her come to a HOG meeting, or a toys for tots run and say these things. She doesn't know people like Bob, who owned a soccer field and would do anything for anybody, so we need to get this out and hope something can be done in the future to stop this kind of prejudice and foul use of justice against bikers. I hope you guys read this and post it on bulletin boards, something has to be done. Thank you....... "

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i haven't read a post in a long time that makes me so sad and angry! the death of the rider sadens me. what makes me angry is both the lack of remorse and attitude of these people. i don't even know what to say.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
This kinda bashing has been going on for years. Everytime I go on runs that are HA or Club functions it is always they are drugs addicts, murders, rapists. Give me a break, most of these people are union employees or own their own business.
As for this dumbo on her phone! I say a public flogging would be proper and let's throw in a branding on her forehead that reads STOOPID

·
Registered
852 Posts
Can't his family appeal the ruling and sue the girl's family for serious damages? Yeah, she may be a sweet thing; how about the guy...he doesn't have a second chance to live!

That is outrageous...

Now, what can we do about it.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Sometimes when we are considered to be the arogant, criminal, & violent ellements of society, we need to act that way in order to get our share of justice.

·
Banned
21 Posts
its an unfortunate tragedy a no win situation for all involved, as motorcyclists, we must ride defensively at all times yet even at our best, inattentive drivers can put a quick end to our happiness while riding, then it seems that prejudices and stereotypes against motorcyclists add insult to injury, attorneys and judges have their own perceptions that victims and offenders have to live with
perhaps the local HOG chapter can contact the prosecuting attorney or a victim's assistance office and somehow have their suggestions be heard with hopes the offender and her mother can learn about the victim as a motorcyclist and a PERSON

·
Registered
33 Posts
As sad and angry as this makes me, it does not come as a shock. I am really sorry to hear about the loss of another motorcycle rider. I wish I could be there to support you guys at the courthouse. It is really sad and disgusting, if is isnt motorcyclists that are being stereotyped, it's other cultures, gays, tattooed people, homeless, etc. Living with Bush as my president, Arnold as my Gov., and people that think someone is a "druggy or thug" b/c they ride a bike, makes me think of packing the bags and getting out of this country. Keep your heads up and keep riding respectfully!!

R

·
0 Posts
Call me crazy. But I am willing to bet this story grew from as it was passed from person to person. I am willing to bet the judge did not refeer to Bob so negatively, but simply said if he chose to wear a helmet, he would most likely be alive at this point. Nothing against Bob, but riding without a helmet is stupid. ANd poor Bob paid the ultimate price for his right to ride without one. If Bob had a full face helmet on he would probably be bitching about his bike right now.
Don't get me wrong. If this story is word for word true, I am pissed. But to me Bob's choice to rid without a helmet was most likely the difference between a rough get off and his death.
People who write these articles tend to lean in a direction to envoke emotion towards the cause. It could all be true. But I have seen too many stories get twisted with he said/she saids that make the facts look 10 times worse.
I am sorry for Bob and his family. And feel either way she should be punished more severe then this. In PA she would nevr drive again either way. You kill someone driving, your done.
Please do not yell at me over this. If this is all word for word true I am as pissed as everyone else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I really don't think anybody would dispute (as per ad-nuasium posts RE: helmet Vs no-helmet) that not wearing a helmet is pretty stupid. For me, the point of this is that MAN-SLAUGHTER has been reduced to a slap on the wrist. ???

A living breathing human being has died at the hands of a spoilt &%^%&$^.

But, then again, kids these days. They've got it so hard, the pressure, BOLLOCKS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
People die in car wrecks. Somtimes those deaths could have been avoided by wearing a seatbelt when they weren't, but I doubt that anyone would say, it's not their fault for braking the law which caused someone their life, that guy should have been wearing a seatbelt. Lot's of cagers die even though they wore their seatbelt, and bikers also die sometimes, even if they are wearing a helmet. It should make no difference whether someone is buckled up or wearing a seatbelt, if someone broke a law which led to the death of another person, then they should be held liable. This reminds me of Congressman Bill Janklow, who ran a stop sign doing 71mph in a 55mph zone killing a biker. He admitted he knew the stop sign was there and how fast he was going, but pleeded not guilty. Trial is set to begin Dec 1, he'll most like have to just pay a speeding ticket. These stories just make me sick.

Like they say, if you want to kill someone, do it in a car, you'll get off with just a fine.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This reminds me of Congressman Bill Janklow, who ran a stop sign doing 71mph in a 55mph zone killing a biker.
I just read about this Congressman / exGovernor in this months AMA magazine. It really does get you sick. The article said that Janklow was known for his speeding, boasted about it in speeches, and has been given warning after warning.
It is going to be interesting to see the outcome.

R

·
0 Posts
I don't know the details of the crash. But I have some child like hope for the court systems. Call me dumb. What if this guy was doing like 10mph when he went down. That the cause of death was a head trauma at low speeds. A kind of death that would have never happend if he was wearing even a cheap lid. It just seems unreal to hear a judge say such a thing. And if he did, there must be a reason we are not hearing about.
I think the girl should be charged with manslaughter. The person is dead. And she admitted it was her fault. Maybe the sentencing could be mild for the situation, but she should still be charged.
Slow speed head trauma kill too many people. I myself had a friend put in a coma while riding his bike to the corner store after wasing it. He got to the corner and slipped on some sand. He fell doing under 5 mph and bashed his head off the ground. He will most likley never come out of it. In my ER a few month back a boy and girl were sitting on ther bikes in a lot hanging out. They decided to circle the lot and hit something slippery and both had no helmets on. Both landed and hit they'e heads. They both died before the got to the ER.
As a track Photographer I see people crash at high speeds almost every weekend. 99% of them leave with only there pride hurt. Most jump right up and ask if I got the shot of them crashing. Riding without a helmet is putting you own life at risk. It can make even the lowest speed crash fatal. I think we will see laws and insurance change in the near future. I see insurance companies not covering people who crash with no helmet. And adding these rules to your policys.
The girl should be charged. But if the accident was one of these not so rare helmetless low speed fatalities, then her sentence should be reasonable.
I know my view on this may not be popular, but I have seen too many people die for no reason. And ridng without a helmtet is much worse then riding without a seat belt. I don't even see a comparison. Even without a seat belt, you still have a few tons of metal around you. I myself would be dead if it were not for my helmets(2 high sides that left me not remembering 3 months of my life. Imagine that with no helmet). I would not blame anyone but myself for my choice to leave the house without one. I know how easy a good day can go bad. I want to be prepared for it.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

If it is legal to ride without a helmet then the biker is LEGAL. He knows the risk but we all do. I wear a helmet, gloves and jacket every time I ride but it is still a choice.

If the 'accident' is the other drivers fault (innattentiveness, drunk, careless, speeding, running stop signs, whatever) it IS NOT AN ACCIDENT. They can't just say oops. They are responsible. They will get a ticket, insurance will go up, etc. because they are AT FAULT. They killed someone.

Any cases like this need to be refered to the AMA so they can keep an eye on them. Recently a friend I ride with was first responder on an accident where a rider was killed by a car crossing the center line unexpectedly. He sent an email with his info and a link to the story in the local paper to AMA Legal Affairs and got a quick response back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Maybe she could of heard something if that cell phone ear piece was up her a$$ instead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts