Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just started riding and I noticed that I drag my toe when I lean.
Is this okay? I got scared and came up while turning.
Should I worry about this and not lean too much? Or just don't mind dragging the toe?
Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Keep leaning! Now all you have to do is start riding with your toes on the footpeg instead of your arch or ball of your foot!

Next you will start dragging the foothangers and getting your knee down!

Yorkie

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Sounds like you're doing it right to me! And Yorkie has a good point as well. Make sure that before or as you initiate your lean that you move your foot position so that the ball of your foot or your toe is on the peg instead of your arch or heel. Also, if you haven't already, look into a good pair of riding boots. Most will have toe sliders included that can be preplaced as you wear them out. Good luck and be safe out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dragging parts...

Dragging parts isn't good.:eek:
If you are dragging your toes move them back onto the pegs.;D
If you are dragging other parts I'd suggest checking your suspension sag and make sure the bike's springs are coping with your weight properly.
If you get on the bike and it collapses under your weight like a weak pony... you need stiffer springs or your pre-load adjusted so that the bike absorbs your weight and distributes it evenly between the forks and the shock.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
55 Posts
When you lean the bike into the turn, what are you doing with your body? If you are keeping your body kind of upright, then the bike may be leaning over farther than it needs to. It is better for your body to be shifted into the turn more than the bike; you don't have to hang off the bike for this to help, just lean your body more into the turn.

There are some good riding schools out there for technique beyond MSF. You might want to check those out.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Sounds like you need to move your foot back like suggested, or get some rear sets. If you're leaning to far the bottom of the peg should be pushing your foot up, not your toes dragging. I often do this too, I hang my toes downward because it's comfortable when riding. Although it only takes a nice quick corner and in my head I'm thinking what if my tip of my foot catches and I break my ankle?

That's why you see those guards on four wheelers...well that and people panic when they get in trouble and stick their feet out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with the above post. If you're dragging your boot or pegs, get a set of rearsets that will elevate the pegs somewhat, and even place them rearward. Most rearsets are adjustable. Check out the Sato ones. I've got them for my M696 but they are not installed yet, so sorry for not attaching pix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts