Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Monster into the local dealership to have the 600 mile service, and to have the guages replaced under warranty for fogging. When I went to pick up the bike, the first thing I noticed when I went to start it was the guages didn't sweep through like the originals when you turn on the key :-/. So I had the service manager take a look, and noticed that the digital readout where the clock is does kind of a funny countdown when you turn on the key ???. It start out as a 1 99 and the 99 counts down quickly then it says OFF ???. I have no idea what the heck is going on, and both the service manager and the tech didn't know anything about it. I now have to call back next week and they will talk to their Ducati rep and hopefully he will know what to do. The guages seem to work fine other than the stated problems. I am a little dissapointed that not only did the guages/installation present a problem, but that the tech didn't notice the problem until I pointed it out, but also that they had no idea what was going on and they had no idea what to do about it. I will now probably have to take the bike back to the dealership (120 miles with poopy traffic) sometime in the future to get the problem fixed.....again. Does anyone have any idea about the strange countdown in the digital readout? Does anyone else have guages that don't sweep? (I always thought that it was kind of cool). Sorry about the long post, thanks for any and all advice.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the guages do work, but they don't do what the old guages used to do.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
unfortunately, i have no idea. guess you'll just have to wait and see what your dealer says. hopefully it's a design change. what kind of farming do you do?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
As far as Foggy gauges go..... heres what I think about them. If you have ever taken your cluster apart (I have) you will notice that the top cover comes off quite easy. The cluster is sealed by a gasket that goes all the way around the actual gauges and actually holds them into the housing. For Ducati to replace the ENTIRE cluster because that gasket isnt sealing is pretty ridiculous. I would be willing to bet that they will all let a little moisture in depending on where your bike is stored (inside or out) and how much water you let get on them when you wash it. I would guess the colder climates would suffer more (dew, condensation). In other words..... theres nothing wrong with your cluster... its the design that isnt too great. If it bothered me I would ask for a new cluster and just use the new gasket and top cover and keep my original gauges for accurate milage especially if the gauges worked fine. I guess the gaskets could be defective but if you take it apart youll see for yourself that its just the way its designed.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gleaned from this board, that if their was condensation in the guages that it would eventually cause guage failure, and that replacing the guages would cost a fortune. I falsely believed that the guage replacement would be a quick easy thing, and I'd be sure and be really careful about water near the guages. Now it stands that the new guages apparently don't work, and getting my old guages back will probably be a real pain in the @ss. So I guess I'll wait for a call from the dealership, and see what happens. Howie, we raise wheat, and cattle, and hay for the cattle. I'm currently spending 10-12 hour days on the tractor seeding wheat, and should be done in a couple of days :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We butcher 1 or 2 cows a year to eat, and you wouldn't believe the difference between fresh beef, and what you buy at the supermarket, even old dry cows (what we butcher) taste so much better than Safeway beef. Anyway, back to the subject matter, I called the dealership today, and the service manager said that she spoke with the Ducati rep, and he said that the new guages were faulty, so she ordered new guages, and will make an appointment to replace the new...new guages. My fingers are crossed, I've heard horror stories about 3 or 4 sets of guages.

·
Registered
100 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts